Question Component video via VGA for connecting old DVD player to new TV

Jabba flabba

Standard Member
Reaction score
An elderly relative's television packed in recently so I've been organising a replacement remotely. I plumped for a Toshiba model, the 32LL3A63DB 32-Inch - see https://toshiba-tv.com/uk-uk/support/product/32LL3A63DB
This is a question about connecting the existing DVD player to the new TV when it arrives.
The new TV does not have a SCART socket, but does have Component (YPbPr) in via VGA (D-Sub), red/white RCAs, Composite, and 2 x HDMI.
The DVD player is an old Bush STB 2028, with SCART, composite & S-Video, and for audio it has the red/white RCAs, coaxial & optical sockets.

It seems to me there are four options:
  1. A SCART to HDMI converter. Downside: requires an extra plug socket, consumes an HDMI socket, and may not be worth it when a new player would be relatively inexpensive.
  2. Use Composite Video along with the red/white RCAs for audio (i.e. with a "Break out cable"). This is suggested in Toshiba's FAQs. Downside: Composite is the worst quality, though I appreciate that DVDs on a full HD TV like this are never going to look fantastic.
  3. Use the "Component (YPbPr) in via VGA" for video, and the red/white RCAs for audio. Perhaps something like this: https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-signal/psg00969/21-pin-scart-to-15-pin-hd-plug/dp/AV14656
  4. Buy a new player with HDMI output.
Option 3 looks appealing but I'm not sure if it's going to work. The fact that Toshiba state that the TV's VGA input supports Component video gives me some hope. Does anyone have any experience with option 3?

Thanks for any advice.

It is highly unlijely (check manual) that the DVD player atually outputs anything other than composite (and possibly s-video) on the scart socket so scart converters are unlikely to achiev any benefit over the composite connections. IIRC virtually all DVD discs are composite video anyway.

It is highly unlijely (check manual) that the DVD player atually outputs anything other than composite (and possibly s-video) on the scart socket so scart converters are unlikely to achiev any benefit over the composite connections. IIRC virtually all DVD discs are composite video anyway.
There are plenty of DVD players with RGB or Component outputs on their Scart sockets, but they tended to be higher quality players.

Not sure what you mean by DVDs being composite. They are all MPEG2 Component recording and unless recorded at home from a DVD recorder will be digital component throughout the process.

For the cost of it, I would get a new Blu-ray player. This will play all the DVDs and may have some smart features missing off the TV.- Amazon product ASIN B01CEE1OZE

Thanks for both your replies.

Unfortunately I can't seem to locate an online manual for this model. Assuming it does output RGB on its SCART socket, would this mean option 3 would not work? ( on the basis that Component YPbPr ≠ RGB ). And if, by chance the SCART does output Component video, am I right in thinking this would work, using something like the cable I linked to above?

Yeah, a blu-ray player is one option, though I have a feeling my relative has a few region 1 DVDs she might want to play. Probably better off sticking with a DVD player that is known to be easy to multi-region-ify. Better still, one that's multi-region out-of-the-box.

Yes, I would expect the cable to work if the TV will accept component on the VGA input. It's possible the output from the DVD player is RGB or even switchable.

Worth trying the cable as you won't damage anything.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom