1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

component video via avr 300

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by mhawkins, Nov 14, 2004.

1. mhawkins

mhawkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am a new avr 300 user in the States. I have connected a 1080i video source (direct tv hd tivo box) via component cables to the avr 300 which is connected via component cables to a Mitsubishi rear projection HD tv.

On a 1080i broadcast (Discovery HD Theater) with a fair amount of white background, I am getting horizontal translucent lines. At times this degrades to the point where the TV "looses" the video feed and looks like it is resetting the video. I get some of the horizontal issues on a couple of other channels, but not to the same extent. The problem seems to be diminished when I drop down to 480p or 480i.

I previously connected my video source directly to the TV and experienced none of these problems.

Does anyone have experiences to report with the component in / out? Is it possible that the avr 300 doesn't have the bandwidth for a full 1080i signal?

BTW...I can't get over the music quality with my 6 & 7 channel bi-amped to my older ads 1290's

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

2. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    According to the specs it should be ok - 150Mhz is the -3db point. The Zektor primer (http://www.zektor.com/support/componentvideo.htm) suggests that's plenty for 1080i (assuming I'm reading it right).

Haven't tried the component switching on mine yet, can't quite decide if I want to retire the Zektor switch I'm using at the moment.

Idle thought ... have you tested the direct connection (source to TV) with both sets of component cables ? I'm guessing you know one set is good ('cos that's how it was connected), so best to verify the other set is good too.

Cheers, Carl.

3. mhawkins

mhawkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have two 1080i sources, a direct tv hr10-250 and a motorola hd cable box 6412. Both work fine with my misubishi rp tv when connected directly. When connected through the avr-300, I have problems only with the direct tv box. I have ruled out cable problems and even input port problems on the receiver by switching around alternate configurations. The problem also occurs with just the Y component feed. If I dumb down the output of the direct tv box to 480i or p, there is no problem.
    As stated in my original post, the problem looks like the receiver is over boosting the component video feed. In bright scenes with any action, I get a translucent horizontal wave(s). At times the distortion is bad enough that the tv looses its sync (picture) for a couple of seconds.
    The dealer has offered to get a demo avr-300 to me to see if the problem goes away before swaping out my unit for a new one.

Please post a reply if you are running 1080i through the component in /out on the avr-300 and let me know if it is working or problematic. I am hoping I can resolve this and stay with my new avr-300!

Thanks