1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component Video TVs

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by The Dog, Nov 24, 2001.

1. The Dog

The Dog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

I am on the verge of acquiring a DVD player and thanks to the help and advice from the AV Forum have become aware of the charms of component video connections. So, my question is...

...can anyone recommend a TV with the requisite sockets? I am on quite a modest budget so I am not really aiming for anything bigger than a 28" widescreen.

I know Toshiba are the great exponents of component video but I seem to be too thick to understand which of their sets actually have it. A quick browse of their website (maybe I was too quick) did not seem to reveal anything with regard to this.

Once more, over to you, o wise ones...

Thanks

2. Steve1138

Steve1138

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess being strictly accurate (or would that be pedantic ?) most TV's these days have component inputs - via the SCART, with the separate Red Blue & Green components.
    (Isn't S video also a type of component system too ??)

But I guess you mean the 3 separate phono sockets used for component, but this outputs a different type of signal.
    From my own observations, I would be wondering what the direct benefits of component video would be with a digital TV, as the main concern I have are the very noticeable digital motion artefacts on digital TV's and a soft picture

Being on the subject of component video, its only a short step to the subject of Progressive Scan... which I've been investigating.

The only set which will accept a processed Pro Scan signal looks like the Loewe's with VGA module fitted. This has a 15 pin VGA connector (like a PC monitor) - not RCA phono component connections.

Some sets from Panasonic & Hitachi have built in progressive Scan but require a normal interlaced signal input thru SCART, S, composite.

So - just having component connections is no guarantee of picture quality. It's what happens to the signal inside the TV that counts.

3. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    The benefit of component inputs is a better picture. Only Toshiba has RCA component inputs. The Loewe Aconda can take component into the RGB Scart but you will need a special lead(easy to make or buy).

Internal progressive scan may not be always a benefit. There are many bad and few good progressive solutions. I don't yet know of a good internal progressive scan device / electronics for a UK based TV. Personally I think it better to do interlaced well rather than progressive badly. I hope this situation will change.

4. Steve1138

Steve1138

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the other "recent discovery" from within another thread in this forum ("Loewe...component in and prog scan..my findings!") is the use of the LOEWE's AV3 input, configured to component input, with a component to SCART connector.

One user claims that it then does Pro Scan on both PAL and NTSC DVD sources...

interesting

Steve

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    but Steve this was hardly a new discovery, people have know about this for ages