Component Video to RGB conversion

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jaylew, Dec 2, 2004.

1. jaylew

jaylew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I live in Australia and am looking for the last bit of information to complete a converter for an Asian DVD player which has component video outputs to a European TV which has RGB inputs. I built the converter from a kit, the design for which appeared in a local magazine.

The TV is a Metz Artos MF Premium and I have got the system to work by connecting the sync output from the converter to pin 20 of one of the SCART connectors on the TV and, of course, the red, green and blue connections to the appropriate pins. The final task was to connect pin 16 (RGB status) to a 1.5volt dry cell. RGB Priority had to be turned off to allow any other program settings on the TV to work.

My question is: the current drawn by the RGB status pin from the dry cell is about 15mA, so this method of setting RGB status is not a long term one. Is there any way of deriving a low voltage of between one and three volts from the scart connector? I have in mind connecting a diode from a pin with a spare signal output, if it exists, and filtering it with a capacitor.

The other possible ways of obtaining the voltage are from inside the TV, or from the converter power supply.

Thank you,

Jaylew

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Is the converter active (has it's own power supply) or passive? If it's active I wonder why no voltage supply to that pin has been added.

Anyhow, you could try pin 8 (control) - if you are lucky there is 12V on it, depending on the equipment the Scart cable is connected to.

3. jaylew

jaylew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, Reiner. The converter does have its own power supply (5V) so it would be easy to drop this to about 2V and run a wire taped to the signal cables to the scart plug on the TV.

I will try your recommendation re pin 8.

Regards,

Jaylew

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Ups, seems pin 8 is not going to work as it's used by the source (12V on pin 8 would tell the TV to use that scart input while 6V would switch it to 16:9).

However I also found a site that says the voltage at pin 16 can be 1 to 5V, so you may not even need to drop it (see the part in bold):

http://info.electronicwerkstatt.de/bereiche/stecker/scart.html

5. jaylew

jaylew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I ended up connecting pin 16 of the SCART plug to the converter power supply using a resistor, 3 diodes in series to act as a zener and a filter capacitor which gives a couple of volts. When the converter is not being used, it can be switched off so removing the voltage from pin 16.

The picture quality is about the same as it is using S-VHS excepting it is a little brighter. Perhaps the signal is degraded when passing through the converter.

The converter has RCA connections so I had to build up a cable with RCA's on one end and SCART on the other. So the connections are red, green, blue, sync and RGB status.

I note that later Metz's have a component video input connection...

Regards,

Jaylew