1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component Video to DVI??

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by 100years, Feb 6, 2005.

1. 100years

100years

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Philips LCD 42PF9986 which as SCART and DVI but no component video input. The DVD I am looking to buy (Linn Unidisk SC) has SCART and compnent outputs, but no DVI/HDMI.

i) Can component video be converted into DVI for Prog Scan?

ii) Philips provide a (cheap) compnent video to VGA lead witha VGA to DVI connector - does this work?

iii) If so, will I lose any quality in signal by the converson?

iii) How would SCART RGB compare to a DVI Prog Scan picture?

Thanks for any suggestions.....

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    A few if & buts in this reply, but here goes anyway:

If the LCD is supplied with a YUV component to VGA lead and a VGA to DVI adapter then I would assume the lead would work.

There are 3 types of DVI connection. DVI-I carries both the analogue VGA signal as well as the digital DVI signal through the DVI socket. DVI-A is analogue only & DVI-D is digital only.
    My plasma VGA input can be set to accept RGBHV (standard VGA), RGsB, RGBs (RGB through a scart) and YUV component.

So assuming the LCD has a DVI-I input and that input can be configured to accept a YUV signal then the supplied lead/adapter should work ok.
    The adapter will cause a loss of some quality, so buying a dedicated YUV component to DVI lead should give better results. I would suggest you try the supplied lead first to see if it is good enough for you.
    RGB scart vs DVI differences are something you are going to have to try out for yourself. Scart is not going to be progressive, but it may still be an excellent picture that is good enough.

Mark.

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    100years

Your Unidisk SC has the ability to output Progressive or Interlaced YPbPr (Component) or Interlaced RGB+ 'Sync on Video' from its SCART socket.

Your LCD TV's DVI socket is indeed DVI-I and with suitable adapters will work with 480P, 576P, 720P and 1080i YPbPr (Component) signals.

3RCA to DVI-I for YPbPr 'Component' cables I've seen - but not SCART to DVI-I.

Your most direct connection is likely to be a custom SCART to HD15(VGA) cable wired for YPbPr + an HD15(VGA) to DVI-I adapter.

It's unlikely anyone will offer a 'custom' SCART to DVI-I cable.

Best regards

Joe

4. 100years

100years

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply. That all sounds relatively (and happily) straight forward...

Someone else has told me this won't deliver Prog Scan witout a video scaler. Is that correct?

One more thing...I've had a hunt on the net and can't seem to find anyone offering quality Scart leads wired for YPbPr instead of RGB - let alone offering the Scart to VGA. Any suggestions?

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    adding scaler Lumagen DVi or Iscan HD+ will offer you far far more, one question tho why Linn Unidisk and a Philips 42PF9986?????

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Hello 100years

Your DVD player has a Progressive processor on board so no problems there - if you start to get critical about these things and your displays up to the challenge you can consider an external Video Processor at some stage.

SCART to HD15 and SCART to 3RCA cables don't appear in many manufacturers catalogues - we have two or three cable manufacturers who 'custom' assemble cables for us; and other brands may also offer this service if you ask.

Best regards

Joe

7. 100years

100years

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why Philips LCD 42PF9986?

i) I have always rented tvs - my rental company offers Philips, Panasonic and Toshiba tvs

ii) I had the Philips 36" CRT tv before with Pixel Plus and thought it was fantastic - so was quite happy to move to Pixel Plus 2

iii) Always been happy with Philips - design, operation, and performance

Why Unidisk SC?

i) My Hi-fi system, including active speakers is all Linn and this seemed a natural way to upgrade

ii) DVD and processor in one for £3k (cf Naim DVD and processor) - considering my budget is about £5.5k including centre, rear speakers and amplification.

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    seems a slightly underspecced display for the Linn system you have (are putting together) 43MXE/PHD7 or even a 50" plasma panel would seem more apt, but i dont know your room or veiwing habits

Also i didnt know of anyone still renting TV's that werent either very old or very low income... Everytine i looked at rental 14 months rental normally paid for the TV!!!!
    May i ask how much a 42PF9986 is on rental? I guess you have no warranty worries but it does rather limit your choice..........