1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component video switching

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by pompeysteve, Nov 19, 2002.

1. pompeysteve

pompeysteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    {Why oh why did I post this in here!.. Could a moderator move it to a more suitable forum, maybe the DVD Player one?}

Hi,

I have a Kenwood DVF-J6050 Megachanger DVD player which has component out. My PS2 is also fitted with a component video lead.

I'd like to connect them both to my Panny AE100 without having to swap the leads over each time. At the moment I'm using 3 phonosocket-phonosocket to bridge the cable running from the projector to the DVD player / PS2. Is there a relatively low cost component video switcher out there? All I've seen are composite video ones.

Annoyingly I can't seem to get the DVD players component video inputs to act as a pass-thru ; I think it needs a control signal through it's daisy-chain 3.5mm jack

Thanks,

Steve

2. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Maplins do a B-Tech video and audio switcher which does the job just perfectly. It has a manual switch to enable one of 3 inputs (9 x phono connectors) to be output to 2 outputs (6 x phono connectors). It costs just £15.

I openede mine up and with some soldering bypassed the switch so that whatever source is playing automatically routes through to the output. Should you have 2 sources on at the same time you'll get a garbled picture (obviously) but no harm to the viewing device.

Worth a look. I think you'll find the same item on the Lektropacks web site but if you buy from maplin it's a few quid cheaper and no postage :D

3. pompeysteve

pompeysteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Thanks very much for that info - would that be the
    NA36P (£12.99) ?

Cheers again,

Steve

4. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    That's the one. If you want it modded for auto switching and don't feel like doing it yourself let me know and I'll buy it from my local maplins, do it and send it to you for the cost of the item and the postage. (i.e. no additional cost).

Neil

5. pompeysteve

pompeysteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Many thanks for the offer, but i'm an impatient bast
    so I had already ordered it from their website :)

If you can give me some brief instructions on how to
    do the autoswitch mod, I'd be very grateful

Cheers,

Steve