1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

component video switching

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Adam M, Nov 24, 2003.

1. Adam M

Adam M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    The ax10 gives me the option to use component video switching but i have was always told to try to avoid using additional internal switchgear.

I havent set the thing up yet but was hoping to be told in advance one way or another so that I could effectively set it up and forget it.

I cannot argue that it is more convenient, but is it likely to degrade picture quality?

Also, can sky and x box and ps2 be connected via component?

I have s-video connections for the consoles already but am wondering if it is worth going component.

The pj will be connected to the amp (if I use it for switching) via s-video and component anyway,

2. balders

balders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I was wondering the same as I'm trying to decide which amp to buy and whether component input is a desirable feature (my DVD is connected directly to the TV through component, and gives a great picture ), but I'd also like to use the PS2 component inputs too.

... which goes part way to answering your second question. The PS2 does support component connections - you can get am official Sony cable from HMV for about £15, although there are better available if you want to pay more. You just have to change the video output setting in the PS2 setup screens.

X-Box can be connected though component, but you need a Hi-Def pack, which, afaik, isn't available in the UK (anyone know different?).

Sky, I don't think can be connected by component, unless you get some kind of rgb-to-component converter.

Balders.

3. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,526
    Yes, yes, yes and yes ;-)

And no it won't degrade the picture quality any more than an external switchbox. I am running a single 8m cable to my projector and everything is switched via the amp. On an 8ft screen I can't detect any picture degradation with my eyes.
    Oh and yes you need an RGB-Component converter for Sky. If you have an UK Xbox get it modded now as well so you can take advantage of progressive scan.

4. alwyn

alwyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I have a lexicon mc8,which is regarded as one of the best in the world,but I still run my video direct to the monitor.Audio and video are best kept apart

5. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    dejongj
    What mod does an xbox need for Progressive Scan? I have an Executer 2 Lite but my projector (PTAE100) and TV do not support it so am consdiering an upgrade to the pj so that I can see the diff.

Thanks

6. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    A and V are quite safe if the product is cotrrectly designed. What is the bandwidth of the switching circuits and what do you want to switch with it? These are important to know before the question can really be answered.

PS I had started to write a 'long thread' on this subject but stopped as I thought people wouldn't have an interest in switching and bandwidth, is here much out there?

7. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Always an interest.

8. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Surely the design of the product would be such that there would be sufficient bandwidth to switch all the audio and video inputs sufficiently, wouldn't it? :confused:

I too though have always subscribed to the theory that the fewer components in the path will result in less opportunities for the quality to be degraded.
    That's primarily why I went for the AX5 instead of the AX10 - because I will connect all of my sources directly to the media receiver and therefore don't need the additional component upgrading capability that the AX10 has.

9. Teleport

Teleport

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would be very interested on anything you have to say regarding Bandwidth issues when switching component sources Beekeeper.

We are currently trying to find a cheap usable solution
    in this thread and any contributions would be welcome.

It seems passive switchbox with no mains supply and at least 100Mhz bandwith is the way to go.

10. robfitzp

robfitzp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I have Sky (via JS RGB-component) and DVD switching thru my AX10 and there is no noticeable degradation in picture quality.

Cheers
    Rob

11. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,976
    you need a boot disc, so you can change between NTSC and PAL. As the progressive scan is only available on NTSC signals.

12. Adam M

Adam M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    can the hi def cable be used with a non chipped uk exbox for outputting its normal picture? (480i?)