1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component Video switching by TAG / Arcam / Rotel / Denon

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by DEO, May 7, 2003.

Tags:
  1. DEO

DEO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, if you own AV32R or AV8 or 1066 or AVC-1SR:

Does the processor switch componet video& audio - if so how many different sources can it switch?

THanks for your help

2. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Tag AV32R/AV32R Dual Sharc - No component switching (S-Vid and Composite only)
    Tag AV192R: Compnoent switching on-board.

Stebe.

3. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Rotel RSP1066 - 2 component inputs.
    Arcam AV8 - 3 component inputs (IIRC) with a trigger for RGB use if you want it.

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +894
    Denon A1SR - three Component Inputs and one output. Will also upconvert S-Video to Component as well (also Composite to S-Video should you want that). Plenty of S-Video & Composite inputs to boot (eight of each).

5. DEO

DEO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies

Does that mean with the Tag AV32 I'd have to buy a separate box to do component switching to make life easier for my kids to switch from sky to dvd to xbox etc?

Dave

6. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Dave.

In this instance yes.
    Both the vanilla and souped up 32's are based around the premise that should you install the psm192 module, which can be fitted to either the processor or the dvd32r transport, ALL S-Vid and composite inputs are "tarted up" to P.S with then a single output to PJ/Plasma, which ergonomically is very nice.
    The AV192 is THE most comprehensive video switcher/de-interlacer/linedoubler etc etc solution in one box abeit at a huge price.

I cannot speak highly enough of the audio qualities of av32r and it's new edtion, but if video switching is essential to you then it's probably not going to be comprehensive enough for you, all be it's video stage is similarly an immaculate performer.

The Arcam, which i have spent much time with over the last few month's also is a great performer audio wise and the choice on audio grounds between the two is in most cases made purely on preference of tonality rather than superiority, and as per your requirements may be your better option.
    The Dual Sharc version is at least 1000.00 gbp more than the top spec original av32r and av8, but IMHO is a superior being in all respects.
    Bear in mind Tag's exemplary service record and up-gradability paths however, time will tell as to whether Arcam will be as considerate to their AV8 customers, they do at least have some history of offering up-grades.
    Which ever you chose, original av32r (which as an 7.1, 192khz bypass fitted model can sometimes be picked up second hand/ex-demo for around 2200.00) or the Arcam i am sure you will be thrilled.
    The Rotel, which i have heard, does not in my opinion warrant the incessant knocking it seems to get around here, mostly from peoples comparing it to processors costing 2 or 3 times it's value, it is however a 1000.00 processor and should be judged as such, it is not on competing terms with either the Arcam or Tag and at 1/3 (or 1/4 for DS Tag) of the price nor should it be expected to, however add a second hand Rotel rb985 power amp, often seen around here for 350.00 ish and for something that costs less than 1400.00 you will have a genuinely pleasing performance that would be somewhere around/not that far off the Denon's level.
    The Denon woll cost you lot's more but you do get all 7 channel's of amplification, latest formats (if that is important to you) THX (which IMHO should be important to everyone) THX2/DTS96/24 etc etc.
    Again the Denon IMHO does not in anyway warrant the villification it receive's here and on the many occasions i have heard it i have always thought to be a very competent performer with movie soundtracks and is still the least one box sounding one box out there IMHO.

Hope this is of some help.

Steve.