1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component Video Switcher.

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by 1ofaKind, Mar 5, 2005.

1. 1ofaKind

1ofaKind

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hiyas,

I have my equipment routed to a Denon 3805 and I am upconverting to component. I have a component lead to my projector. However this is a bit overkill for TV.

I'm most likely going to purchase an LCD TV for the room just for normal TV viewing (it has component inputs).

My question is does a component switcher exist that allows me to keep my AMP (for audio and video switching) and then take a component lead out into a switch box to give me 2 outputs (one for LCD and one to my PJ)?

If not its the old scart leads into the LCD I suppose from my DVDR :thumbsdow

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,530
    1ofakind

Your really looking for a 1:2 YUV Distribution Amp not a Switcher - and if your running long cables to your Projector then a Distribution Amplifier that's designed to run long cables is better still.

Budget is always an issue - typically these items cost a few hundred quid as they tend to come from the Broadcast and AV market not the Home Theatre market.

The Zektor HDS4 (UK SRP £240.00) is a 4:1 Switcher that can be 'reverse wired' as a 1:4 Distribution Amp - though only One output is active at any one time; not a problem in your proposed set-up..

See http://www.zektor.com/hds4/

The Kramer VM-1042 (UK SRP £410.00) is a 1:2 RGBHV or YUV Distribution Amp so both Outputs are always On.

See http://www.kramerelectronics.com/indexes/desc.asp?p=VM-1042

The Zektor HDS4.2 (UK SRP £420.00) is a 4:2 Switcher/Distribution Amp with Both outputs always On - where Output 01 is Passive and Output 02 is Active to drive long cables.

The HDS4.2 could be used in conjunction with your AV Receiver to give you cleaner YUV switching for your 'Primary' sources and deliver high quality images to both Display devices.

See http://www.zektor.com/hds42/index.htm

Best regards

Joe

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,530
    Hello Horny

Extron, InLine, AutoPATCH etc - lots of AV manufacturers to choose from but generally a fair bit more expensive than Kramer or any products aimed at the 'Home Theatre' market.

Best regards

Joe

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Hello Joe (hows the weather up there?)
    better quality too tho depends what you can afford and how long the runs are, some of the extron kit (arent inline part of extron these days?) can send video over stupidly long lengths.

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,530
    Hello Horny

Wet, Windy and Cold - a fine summers day :)

Better Quality I'd take issue with - possibly a different specification if your talking about units with long cable run amplification but over short distances (sub 15m) these have no beneficial affects over what's already been highlighted in earlier posts.

The history of Extron and InLine is pretty interesting - and as you say they have now combined operations.

There's actually a Third company involved in the history of these two! Altinex (Alt ernative to In LIne or Ex tron) is a third company started by the guy who stared both Inline and Extron (see http://www.altinex.com) its a long story and as you can guess money and power were involved somewhere along the way.

Best regards

Joe

7. masterofimages

masterofimages

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Please ignore me. I didn't read the first post properly! :suicide:

8. MikeFish

MikeFish

Products Owned: