1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component Video splitter?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by tk2001, Apr 9, 2002.

1. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    My TV set only has 1 component video input and I've been searching for some kind of splitter which would allow me to connect more than 1 component video inputs into my TV.

I own a 3 to 1 RGB Scart splitter box for my TV.

Is there a similar product availible in the UK?

2. matt janes

matt janes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maplin at www.maplin.co.uk

I bought mine there for £12 which works like a dream on DVD plus PS2 into my 50WH18B. There's room for 3 inputs.

It's designed for video composite plus left/right audio but works perfectly for the three RGB leads on component.

Look under classification Audio and Video then switchers/splitters.

3. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Is it the "3-Way Audio-Video Input Control" (order code NA36P)?

When using the component cables via this splitter, is the picture quality as good as connecting the component cable from the source?

Can you please tell me where you got your component/component cable from? (male/male). Or are you using standard composite cables (white, red & yellow) to connect your splitter/switch to your RP TV's component input? (wouldn't that degrade the picture quality?)

4. matt janes

matt janes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes that's the one. There is absolutely no loss in picture quality when using it. I was worried about this before I bought it but thankfully it's excellent.

I use a component lead which is has Red, Green and Blue labelled on them rather than yellow for composite and red/white for audio. I'm assured by retailers that regular composite leads like the one you're talking about will do exactly the same job but I managed to find this one which was being sold specifically for component. It's made by Techlink and cost me £15 down Tottenham Court Rd. It looks exactly the same as another by Profigold which has Yellow, Red and White which shows that mine has just had the colours switched to make us think it's 'special'.

http://www.techlink.uk.com/prodframe/prodframe.html check this out and look at page 3 of 5. That's my lead but with R, G, B instead of the colours shown, but the same lead.

Not sure if you can get my lead on the net but I'm very happy with it. The true test for component over RGB (scart) for me is when using with PS2. The difference is remarkable. Pictures are pin sharp on my 50wh18b.

Good luck!

5. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    How would you match up the component cable (red, green, blue) to the av splitter - normally you would just match the colours from the cable to the component input but in this case the colours on the av splitter/switch are different (white, yellow & red).

BTW How on earth did you guess that this av splitter would work for component cables? - component video are very high quality and are the only way of enabling high-definition (and porgressive-scan) pictures on a HDTV. What did you do, take a gamble and hoped that it might work or did someone actually tell you that it would work?

6. matt janes

matt janes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just make sure the colours are in sequence all the way through the loop (from DVD to TV via splitter). The splitter works in rows if you know what I mean i.e. from left to right, the top row carrying the same signal then the second, then third going downwards. Since my leads are colour coded R, G and B, I've made sure I keep it consistent from source to TV. Hope this is clear. You'll crack it.

Whilst there's a lot of techie talk about image quality loss, if you go back to basics of what a splitter actually is, you see that there's little room for loss of quality. My dad's been building valve amps for 30 years and he disregards the issue - maybe manufacturers like to talk it up so that they can charge £80 for a metre of cable ??? Nobody recommended the splitter - I just dug around and found this which was just what I was looking for and only £12 - bargain! And saves me moving the darn TV everytime I want to thrash Germany on Pro Evolution Soccer!