Component video question

D

Dr.Magus

Er...how do i get it to work?

I have a Tosh 32Z17B televsion and Tosh SD33OE DVD player. I've bought new component video and audio cables and connected them up but have no idea where the picture is or how to see it. I connected a scart lead to the tv and when i turn the player i just get a black screen.

I have Sky connected to the tv via RGB scart...would this be a hindrance or does it not affect the dvd?

If it's anything like the Toshiba television that I have been trying to install for a neighbour you will need to access the picture menu in the setup routine to assign the component inputs to the DVD oplayer and also to tell it which scart socket the sound will be arriving via.

The component input is on EXT4. I've got a Tosh ZP18 and a 220 player connected by component, and, from memory, you need to:

Connect the component cables between TV and DVD

Connect a scart between TV and DVD (only temporary)

Switch on tv and change input to EXT n, where n is the scart socket You've connected the DVD to.

Switch on DVD, and should now see the DVD player screen

Go into the DVD player setup, and change the video output to component: Video Output = Video or SVideo, NOT RGB. You may lose the TV picture as you do this.

Change the tv input to EXT4 (component), and you should see the DVD player screen.

You can then power off and disconnect the scart cable as you're now connected by component.

If you're also using a coax or optical output from the DVD player into the TV, you'll also need to go into the TV features menu and change the assignment for EXT4 to be the coax/ optical input. If you're just connecting to the Left/ Right audio inputs (ie you've got 5 cables between the TV and DVD) then you shouldn't need to do anything else.

Shout if you're still having problems,

Balders.

Originally posted by balders
The component input is on EXT4. I've got a Tosh ZP18 and a 220 player connected by component, and, from memory, you need to:

Connect the component cables between TV and DVD

Connect a scart between TV and DVD (only temporary)

Switch on tv and change input to EXT n, where n is the scart socket You've connected the DVD to.

Switch on DVD, and should now see the DVD player screen

Go into the DVD player setup, and change the video output to component: Video Output = Video or SVideo, NOT RGB. You may lose the TV picture as you do this.

Change the tv input to EXT4 (component), and you should see the DVD player screen.

You can then power off and disconnect the scart cable as you're now connected by component.

If you're also using a coax or optical output from the DVD player into the TV, you'll also need to go into the TV features menu and change the assignment for EXT4 to be the coax/ optical input. If you're just connecting to the Left/ Right audio inputs (ie you've got 5 cables between the TV and DVD) then you shouldn't need to do anything else.

Shout if you're still having problems,

Balders.

I followed your instructions and it works fine, no probs. I decided to leave the scart connected though cos it automatically switches to EXT3 (tv has 3 scarts) whereas disconnecting it means i'd have to do it manually each time and back again after switching dvd player off.

Thanks for your help mate, much appreciated.

Er EXT3 will be showing you composit, or maybe S-Video, certainly not your new Componet Video conection on EXT4. Manualy switching to EXT4 should give you a much better picture than EXT3.

Originally posted by Spencem
Er EXT3 will be showing you composit, or maybe S-Video, certainly not your new Componet Video conection on EXT4. Manualy switching to EXT4 should give you a much better picture than EXT3.

That's right - lose the scart cable! It's totally redundant!

(Amittedly, having to manually go to EXT4 is a pain. I recently bought a one4all remote which allows you to set up macros, so with one press I can power on tv, switch to EXT4, power up the DVD, turn on the amp and switch it to the correct input. It certainly saves a lot of fiddling round!)

Glad to hear you got it sorted.

Balders.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom