1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component Video or HDMI cable for future projector purchase

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Shenoizy, Oct 26, 2005.

1. Shenoizy

Shenoizy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    In the next year or two I will be buying a high definition (ready) projector. Likewise, the next DVD player I buy should have a HDMI output and HD upscaler.

I'm in a relatively large room and therefore the cable distance between my player and projector will be quite long (>5m). My question relates future proofing which video signal I should invest in:

1) Would I be right in thinking that HDMI will provide a superior picture quality than even the excellent component video?
    2) Assuming I get a HDMI player and projector, would the additional cost of a lengthy HDMI cable and its inherent picture quality outway that of a less expensive component cable? The addition size of the component cable is another factor I guess.
    3) Where does DVI come in? It doesn't seem to be very popular on players or is that to change when High Definintion kit comes along?

I don't want to buy a component cable now only to replace it in a year or two with HDMI and hence making it redundant.

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    1) It's not as simple as that. Different equipment works best with different connections, so your DVD player and PJ may well be far better with an HDMI connection, but change the DVD player and YUV component 'could' be a better option. You really do need to demo the equipment with both types of connection to find out for sure which is best.

2) See '1' above.

3) DVI is basically the same video signal as HDMI except DVI can be analogue & digital and HDMI also carries audio. If your PJ had a DVI input then you could get an HDMI to DVI lead that would work, or just get an HDMI to DVI adapter to go on the end of an HDMI lead. Also DVI doesn't always carry HDCP (but chances are from a DVD player it would) but HDMI always does.

Mark.

3. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,026
    use HDMI.

If you're buying in a year or two, you'll most likely have some HD content to view. That'll need a HDMI connection to view it, so thats your futureproof solution.

Do you have a projector now? I'm confused at your point about buying component now.

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    Hello orinj

In reality 5m is not a long cable run - a VanDamme 3RCA to 3RCA 'Component' cable plus a Molex 5m HDMI cable will cost you less than £100 in total; and I'd suggest you install both as you may well end up with a mix of Analogue and Digital sources.

For best flexibility I'd suggest you install a five core analogue cable - that way your covered for either YUV (Component), RGB from SCART or RGBHV from a PC; again you should be able to do that for near £100.00.

Best regards

Joe

5. Shenoizy

Shenoizy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Thanks guys.

Richard, I do not have a projector now but I often borrow one at weekends to use. At present I'm using a long S-Video cable and while the picture is adequate, I know it could be so much better.

I guess I hadn't considered the need for older analogue signals as well as digital video sources. I will only need to view material from a DVD/HD-DVD player / HD games console / and possibly a PC so I think HDMI is probably the way to go.

Joe, that sounds promising if I could get cables for that price. I've been into A/V for years but don't have the funds to upgrade to the latest standards and formats every time something new comes along. I'm fairly new to this forum and have done a bit of searching around. I've heard that I can buy some good inexpensive cables on here but if you could point me in the right direction that would be great.

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    Hello Orinj

You have a PM.

Best regards

Joe

7. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Having both is a good idea as Joe has says. I have a 10m HDMI cable from my Arcam DV29 to Infocus 5700 projector. Plus I have a set of 10m component cables also, which I use for TV (NTL), XBOX, and DVD is in there as well using my amp as a switch. Having both does just give you that flexibility to swap and change and add on when necessary, like the XBOX 360 around the corner ;)

I must admit the component picture looks good, but is uncalibrated, so not perfect. But the HDMI was just about perfect, in my eyes, when plugged in. The native 576p picture sent down the HDMI cable to the 5700 is loverly :smashin:

Cheers

Andy