1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component video on xbox (interlaced)

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by big_mike, Nov 1, 2004.

1. big_mike

big_mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    My toshiba 32zp18 (picture frame) will accept a component video signal BUT I am sure it will not accept a progressive signal. My question is this, if I get the official HDTV connector from lik sang will I see anything? or would I be better off with the advanced scart lead? (both allow me to use the optical input for Dolby 5.1 I believe).

Box is modded with xenium ice, absolute bargain and fantastic to use xbox media centre to watch divx movies from the hard drive. If I can mod my box anyone can! Since modding i've retired the toshiba sd210e dvd player as it isn't flexible enough!

Any thoughts and or advice appreciated,

Mike

2. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +731
    From what i remember about earlier Picture Frame TV's is that they do support Prog Scan but only the NTSC variety, which in the case of the xbox won't be a problem. If i am wrong about you TV i'm sure someone will correct me. As for cables, i have the offical advanced scart and am more than happy with the picture and sound, i have tried 3rd party component cables which have always seemed to be really dark so have always gone back to the scart. but from what i've heard from others the offical high-def pack is certainly the way to go.

3. bibooo

bibooo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    big_mike,

The Toshiba 32ZP18 unfortunately does not support progressive scan input (NTSC or PAL). However I would definitely advise getting the official Hi-Def pack and connecting via the component inputs rather than using RGB scart.

I have a Toshiba 36ZP26P (which does support NTSC progressive scan), and have my X-box linked up via the Hi-Def pack with component cables. The picture is simply stunning especially in progressive scan, but there are also marked improvements with an interlaced signal over the RGB scart connection.

As progressive scan is not an issue for your TV, you have to ask yourself what is the best connection method available? As with DVD it will always be component YUV first followed by RGB scart, then S-Video, and finally composite.

Hope this helps,

bibooo

4. big_mike

big_mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice guys.
    I want to connect using the component connections, my concern was will the xbox give an interlaced signal using the hidef kit. It looks like the answer is yes so the order goes in today!

Just need to find some nice quiet fans for the damn thing as it is sooo noisey.

Regards

Mike