1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component video on Panasonic TH-42PW4B

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by mcraeman, Apr 29, 2002.

1. mcraeman

mcraeman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

I am hoping that one of you proud owners of a Panasonic TH-42PW4B or TH-37PW4B can help me before I purchase one.

I notice that there are 5 RCA component video inputs which I think must by R,G,B,HSync and VSync. Can you drive these from the 4 outputs from a SCART by just a cable/connector configuration without buying a convertor device? Can the Panasonic be configured to accept the HSync and VSync from the composite signal of the SCART?

Thanks in advance. Calum

2. MartinN

MartinN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Don't quote me on this but I think it can (soon to get one of these beauties myself!)....

You can get a scart -> 3 x component (I think it's 3 but I could be wrong)

From the panny menu you can toggle the component input between 5 x input or 3 x input (3 input = RGB mode)

Martin

3. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +665
    I've seen SCART to RGB cables (5 BNC) but I've never seen a SCART to Component (3 BNC).

I have seen a number of comments that plasmas can have problems with the sync levels produced by most SCART cables so that is why people often use an external device to handle the signal conversion.

Mark

4. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    The 5 BNC you talk about are RGBHV, I can't remember if they will take component (different and on 3 connectors only) on the Panny plasma. I am fairly sure they can. RGB from Scart is different from this version of RGB (HV) being RGsB. The sync on the green rather than separate H and V syncs.

The sync form a RGB scart may need to be separated from the RGsB for the plasma to work in RGB mode (often on composite pin). Even then the voltages from Scarts are low and often don't work. There are solutions.

Mr Simms RGB to VGA plasma box does all you need and works really well. There is also a Keene solution (in Scart plug) that should do similar things but I haven't seen it

http://www.rgbtosvideo.com/

The Sim stuff is all you need.

5. NeilS

NeilS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    It is possible to run from a Scart lead into a panny plasma, you need the lead terminated in 3xBNC for R,G,B and 1xBNC for composite video (used for synch).

The down side is that you cannot used component, svideo or composite video then as the terminals are all used up.

Best solution, if a little expensive in comparison, as Nic pointed out is an RGB to VGA convertor. This leaves all the other terminals free.

Neil

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,467
    Hello Calum and all

As per previous posts it is possible to generate an RGB signal from your RGB enabled SCART source and also send either a Composite video down the same SCART or send the Composite video as a separate feed from the Composite video socket on the source kit and then set the Panasonic plasma menu to SYNC on video.

There are two possible drawbacks using this method of connectivity:
    Voltage output - sometimes the RGB SCART sockets give a pretty iffy output voltage and your plasma panel can have problems locking onto the SYNC on the Composite video feed.

Lack of inputs - you use up the Component Video input and the Composite video input for this single RGB + C source and in turn leave yourself unable to use the S-Video input into the bargain (a Panasonic quirk).

If however you choose to use one of John Sims converter boxes you have three choices:
    RGB to VGA converter - into VGA port; assuming you are not planning on using a PC you retain all of the 'video' ports for other sources.

RGB to VGA converter - into Component video port; you can still attach a PC to the VGA port and retain the S-Video or Composite video port.

RGB to Component video converter (NEW BOX) - into Component video port via AV amp; with this new box if you have an AV amp with Component in/outs and say a DVD with Component out you can now switch two Component sources to the Component input on the panel and still retain the VGA and S-Video port.

We actually have quite a few customers who will have two RGB to VGA converters (VGA and Component inputs) or an RGB to VGA converter in tandem with a Quattro+ SCART switch to give multiple RGB SCART inputs into the VGA or the Component video ports.

I trust this all makes sense.

Best regards

Joe

7. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Calum, the 37" flavour can be had for £3026 at ediscount.co.uk It's the cheapest I've seen it anywhere, after extensive searching, and I spoke with them to confirm the price.

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Originally posted by encaser
    the 37" flavour can be had for £3026
    -------------------------------------------------

The 37" and 42" were stood side by side in a store Last week, and the bigger one just Looks so much more imposing.

I think the extra ££££,s are worth it for the 42"

9. jimbof

jimbof
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm having issues with this at the moment. I'm trying to get a component picture out of my dvd player and into the panasonic 42 but it says there is no signal - as I've never used the component out on the dvd player before I have no way of telling what is not working properly. There's svideo plugged in and thats fine, and a vga connection which is fine too. But from reading this is it a hard choice between svideo and component?

10. browellm

browellm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Component is generally considered much higher quality. It sounds as though you have s-video selected in your dvd player. You need to stick it onto a normal telly briefly so you can get a picture, then change the output mode to component on the dvd, then hook it back up to the plasma.
    hth.

11. jimbof

jimbof
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The dvd player (sony 735) doesn;t let you do RGB and component at the same time, but this is definately set to component on now and still no luck with the picture.

12. toonarmy

toonarmy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    jimbof.
    My DVD player (Sony 725) is set up to a panny plasma via component.
    To do this I had to go into the set up menu of the player and change the euru AV out (scart) to either S-Video or Video not RGB then set the component out to on.
    Also the plasma has to be set up for component in its menu.
    Hope this helps.

13. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    I have just purchased a Panny 37" and when talking to the sales assistant he said that if I connected the video via S-Video it would switch off the Component input.
    Try unplugging the S-Video lead and then playing a DVD via component. You never know, sales people are sometimes right!:D

14. toonarmy

toonarmy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Mark
    Its actually the S Video and the composite that can not be viewed at the same time and not the component.:)

15. nickt

nickt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Joe,

How would you plug the VGA output into the component port? And what is the point of the RGB -> Component convertor?

16. Glenn Keen

Glenn Keen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jimbof,

I'm using component to conect my Sony 860D DVD multichange to my Panny 42".

I had to turn the component output on on my DVD player and set the input to component on the Plasma.

Results are SUPERB picture!.

Good look.

Glenn.