1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component video no sound

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by brian mcsweeney, Nov 9, 2004.

1. brian mcsweeney

brian mcsweeney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My set up is: LG DLP 44ins TV, NTL set top, DVD/Video combi.

My TV is set up to accept component video signal from the DVD. Wires are all correctly colour coded and input securely.
    When I go to component 1 in the TV i get the DVD picture but no sound. When I switch to AV1 on the telly I get the DVD picture with sound. There also seems to be no difference in the quality of the picture between component and AV1.
    I understood component was supposed to be much better than RGB input. Should I be noticing a big difference? And why am I getting no sound on the component set up? Anyone any ideas? Cheers.

TV: LG RE44SZ21RD
    DVD/Video combi: LGDVC6900
    JVC component video cables
    NTL Pace STB

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you tried connecting the audio output of your DVD player to your TV (optical/co-axial digital or analogue)?

Component is just for video transmission.

:smoke:

3. brian mcsweeney

brian mcsweeney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So whay you're saying is that with just the component video cables I won't be getting any sound unless I install another sound cable from my DVD to TV? Excuse my ignorance!

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    That's correct.

Component cables are just for video - seperate RGB. It's similar but different to the RGB you find in the scart plug, though the quality is about the same. The scart will also carry audio, where's the component is video only, so you'll need to run a stereo pair of cables from the player to tv, or a digital cable from the player to an amp of some sort.

5. brian mcsweeney

brian mcsweeney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Gary, I'll try that out tonight. Hopefully you've cured my problem.

6. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +836
    No, they are more or less completely equivalent.

Video is stored in component format in your DVD player but your TV displays RGB. The only difference between the formats is where the YUV>RGB conversion is happening. If you use RGB, then the DVD player is doing the conversion. If you use component, the TV is doing the conversion.

100Hz TV's often convert to component for their internal processing though so using component sometimes bypasses that double conversion.

The only real advantage component has the is that it supports progressive scan which RGB SCART doesn't.

Steve