Component Video Input

Saints FC

Standard Member
Reaction score
Should I buy Component Video Input cables and will they improve the
picture quality?

Currently I have a Toshiba RDXS32 DVD Recorder plugged in via RGB scart
into a Tosh 36ZP38 CRT. ( Digi box plugged in via scart).

On progressive scan mode on both it already looks spot on but if it makes it better I'm happy to spend some cash.

If the answer is yes can someone recommend a brand and supplier please

PS What does the Y , PB/CB, PR/CR on the Component video sockets stand for?

Ps If these are regular questions and I appologise in advance, I am a twunt when it comes to technology!

Many Thanks - Paul

RGB and component offer similar quality, so if you already have decent quality cables and are happy with the result I would save your money.

RGB carries separate Red Green and Blue signals.

The Y in Y, PB, PR or Y, CB, CR signifies luminance, i.e the black and white image with no colour information.

PB or CB is the blue colour difference signal i.e. B-Y
PR or CR is the red colour difference signal i.e. R-Y

You can matrix from RGB to component and vice versa.

For more info see here

regards

Brian

Thanks Brian.

The rgb into scart was probably just a cheap one would a "better quality" (?) one of them make a difference?

Having been told that if I had Components Inputs on both DVD and TV by a
self confessed AV expert I thought I'd better check on here.
( Mind you the same chap said LCD would now be better quality than CRT
and imho it didnt look it in Currys!)

Cheers - paul

Hello saintsfc

If you use the SCART (RGB) Output of the Player your Outputting an Interlaced signal – no matter what you set the ‘Progressive’ mode to; the Display will be doing the Deinterlacing.

If you connect using the YPbPr Output of the Player you can Output Interlaced or Progressive and see if the Player is ‘better’ than the Display.

Best regards

Joe

HI Joe

Thanks for that. I didnt know I was getting an interlaced signal
with RGB.

I'll try the component and report back if there is a difference.

PS How do you change it from interlaced to progressive once you have the
component inputs attached?

Cheers- Paul

Hello Saints FC

I don't know the Menu options on your Player but usually there is a Progressive On/Off option in the Video set-up menu - then again I've just noticed you have a CRT so its inherently an 'Interlaced' monitor so it may not accept a Progressive signal anyway on its YPbPr 'Component' Inputs.

Best regards

Joe

Hi Joe

The Tosh 36ZP38 has progressive and sorry I was being thick regards the DVD's progressive mode.......it has a button marked, er..progressive!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anways got my component leads form er.......B&Q yesterday...Materplugs £12......couldnt wait, SORRY!

But it does make a big difference. Set DVD & TV to progessive and
the colours are really defined, ( without saturation). Plus the depth
is also noticable, even my missus commented without prompting.

Cheers and Thanks for the advice.

I know this is a old topic, but i just now entered in this world of digital tech :D, and now i have a simple question i bought a new hd ready LG 32LB75, and i also have this dvd http://www.denver-electronics.com/pages/visnyhed.asp?newsguid=16614&menuGuid=, since the dvd is not one of the latest, i just spend money on the tv and like to get more from it before changing for another (when more income is available), i put them together with a scart because it was the only cable i had, and the image is a pain to see, so here goes my question the tv has this connections:

TV
Y PB PR

DVD
Y CB CR

if i use this connection could i take more quality from it, and what kind of cable is needed?

Help appreciated

I know this is a old topic, but i just now entered in this world of digital tech :D, and now i have a simple question i bought a new hd ready LG 32LB75, and i also have this dvd http://www.denver-electronics.com/pages/visnyhed.asp?newsguid=16614&menuGuid=, since the dvd is not one of the latest, i just spend money on the tv and like to get more from it before changing for another (when more income is available), i put them together with a scart because it was the only cable i had, and the image is a pain to see, so here goes my question the tv has this connections:

TV
Y PB PR

DVD
Y CB CR

if i use this connection could i take more quality from it, and what kind of cable is needed?

Help appreciated

Sorry for being a pain guys but if i use this cable could i get any improvements http://www.consumer.philips.com/consumer/en/sa/consumer/cc/_productid_SWV3505_93_SA_CONSUMER/Component-Video-Cable+SWV3505-93

thanks once again.

The component cable might get you a marginally better picture and should give you progressive scan. As it is an old machine, I wouldn't spend too much but remember YpBpR component only carries video so you will need a separate audio cable (Stereo - RCA phono red/white analogue). A HDMI player can be bought for less than £50 these days e.g. philips 5960 so I wouldn't spend too much on this player.

The component cable might get you a marginally better picture and should give you progressive scan. As it is an old machine, I wouldn't spend too much but remember YpBpR component only carries video so you will need a separate audio cable (Stereo - RCA phono red/white analogue). A HDMI player can be bought for less than £50 these days e.g. philips 5960 so I wouldn't spend too much on this player.

Thank you very much!:thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom