1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component Video Input ???

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by moblies, Jan 7, 2005.

1. moblies

moblies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I understand the Sony KF42SX300 has no Component Video Input. Not really sure what this means and how it may affect me. I aim to use it with the usual DVD,Video, Xbox Surround Amp etc.

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Probably best asking that one on the LCD (or is it rear projection?) TV forum...PJ

3. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Are you sure your in the right section as I dont recognize that model number to be a projector? :) Anyway a quick lesson on video connections;

1.) Composite-the lowest form of video connection carries all the picture info down a single wire. Scarts carry composite but you can also use seperate phono leads to connect it (usually yellow phono leads)

2.) S video-much better than composite, it carries the luminance (light and shade) and chrominance (colour) parts of the picture information seperately. Can be carried on a scart or a special S video lead with a four pin connector.

3.) RGB one of the highest quality methods of transmitting a video signal but comes in three versions just to really confuse you :)
    a.) RGsB- one cable each for red green and blue with sync carried on the green
    b.) RGBS- probably the most common, carried on scarts and most european equipment, one cable each for red/green/blue and sync carried on a fourth seperate cable.
    c.) RGBHV- the highest quality RGB connection normally only used on high end projectors and scalers, one cable each for red/green/blue with two cables for horizontal and vertical sync

4.)Component video- similar to RGsB but not the same require three seperate cables and is the system used for the picture information stored on DVDs hence most DVD players have a component video output

Few :D

4. babyG

babyG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the help Thunder --- some times it just needs spelling out:)

One question I have though???

I have a scart breakout cable going from a Sky digibox to video in on the pj (1 phono lead). When I go to settings for the digibox and change the output from PAL to RGB, the quality doubles :) How can this be if RGB requires 3 cables??? (I'm not moanin, just curious)

Dave:)

5. Raze

Raze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    hi Thunder n thanks for the lowdown...

Just one question tho, what is better; Component or RGB Scart ?
    (In terms of DVD players)
    thanks!

6. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Not sure mate but you will definately only be using composite with one phono lead, it will just be coming down the sync element of the RGBS signal :smashin:

7. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Generally component as it has a much more solid connection nearer to the 75ohm specification required for perfect video transmission. But it depends on the kit and source really. Theoretically a DVD should always look better down component as thats the system used for storing the picture information on the disc, but most display devices use the RGB system so have to transcode it before displaying it anyway :confused: To be honest the best way is to suck it and see :smashin:

8. babyG

babyG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    trouble is to suck it & see may cost more than £150 in which case you would see a sucker:)