1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component Video Input vs RGB vs S-Video

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by mrsingh, Jul 19, 2001.

1. mrsingh

mrsingh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I ordered myself a Toshiba 32Z17B 32inch widescreen TV from Hi-Spek yesterday for £750. Looking through the spec of this TV on the Toshiba website, I noticed that it had component video input connections. Now I've heard that if I use this connection instead of one of the scarts, I'll get an even better picture than RGB or s-video. Is this true?

The reason I ask is that I have yet to buy a DVD player for this TV. If component video input does indeed give a better picture than RGB or s-video, then I will look for a DVD player with component video output connections.

2. mrsingh

mrsingh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having looked at a thread in the DVD Players forum, I get the impression that component video is at least as good as, if not better than, RGB or s-video.

My TV isn't due to arrive until August but having looked at some other 32inch widescreen TVs in town today, I'm getting a bit concerned that a 32inch set might be to big for my lounge. The lounge is so small that I will be sitting less than 2m away from the screen.

Is this too close for a 32inch screen? Should I be looking for something smaller like a 28inch set. I am concerned that I will so close to 32inch screen that the picture won't look as clear as it should.

3. Ian Cox

Ian Cox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also have a 32" widescreen TV and I sit about 1.5 metres away from it.

I find that the picture quality is superb even at this distance. If you are going to watch a lot of TV on it though I would sign up to a digtial service (Sky, Cable OnDigital etc...) as this will give you a pin sharp picture. I find watching analogue broadcasts on the TV are just to "noisy" at that distance.

Also by sitting that close to the TV will give you the impression that the TV screen is massive especially in a darken room.

So I would get the 32" widescreen and sit back and enjoy :)

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't worry about being 2m away from a 32ins screen.

As for the Component video - the quality differences appear to be debateable. I bought a set for my Tosh 40WH and I personally prefer RGB/SCART...many people would not agree I'm sure !

Cheers
    Daz

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i agree,stop being a wuss,you should have gone for a 36incher for real inpact,mine is a 43"widescreen in a room 13ft by 12ft and useing digital broadcast it looks stunning.its even better with d.v.d.