1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component video in a s-video cable

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by MikeSomebody, Jul 18, 2005.

1. MikeSomebody

MikeSomebody

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everybody,

I'm trying to play my computer through my BenQ PE7800 DLP Projector, but made a mistake when running the cables and only ran a DVI-D cable, composite cable and s-video cable. The DVI-D cable is used for the DVD player, the composite cable is used for the VCR and I planned on using the s-video for the computer.

That is until I found out the max widescreen resolution of s-video is 720x480.

So, I found this adapter I have sitting around that has a VGA plug on one end and 4 BNC wires on the other - a red, green, blue and black one. I then will put adapters on the R,G and B connectors to make them component video connectors.

Then, looking at an s-video cable there are four wires, just like a component cable - three signals and a ground. So, I spliced an s-video connector to RCA plugs so I can send the component video over the s-video cable in the ceiling. Then, on the other side, at the projector, I have made another cable to change the s-video cable back into component cables which then plug into the back of the projector at the component inputs.

Does what I'm doing sound like it will work? And will I be able to get full 720p or 1080i resolution from the computer through this cable?

Also, am I risking damage to either the computer or projector?

Thanks,
    Mike

2. ZippyCat

ZippyCat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    S Video cables comprise of two runs of mini coaxials within an outer sheath, one carries luminance and the other chrominance. There are 4 terminations within an S Video plug, however two of them are grounded to shield the two video signals. By connecting your projector in the way you describe, there is a large chance unwanted interference will be added to the projected image (you are using the shielding to transfer the signal). What I would suggest is utilise the S Video cable and the Composite cable together. The S Video could be used to carry Pb/Cb and Pr/Cr, with the Composite left to carry Y. This way you will protect the integrity of your signal resulting in a far superior projected image.