Component Video : Dramatic improvement?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Leon Rees, May 9, 2001.

1. Leon Rees

Leon Rees

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some would say that this is a question for the DVD board...

I currently use a Pioneer 717 as my video source, connected to my amp via s-video.

From the amp the signal then connects to my Quadscan via s-video.

The Quadscan converts the S-Video to RGBHV and passes it to the RGBHV input of my Barco 808s.

Here's the question...

If I buy a DVD player with a component out and connect it directly to the component in on the Quadscan, will I see a significantly improved picture on my 8ft screen?

Would this improved picture be worth buying a DVD player with component out?

If so, which DVD player would you buy? I'm thinking Arcam DV-88...

Any input appreciated!

Thanks,

Leon

2. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    My Sony 725 is connected to my quad via component. I would imagine this would be better than using S, Best bet would be to take one home to try, if you can. With regard to player, the quad can't accept a progressive signal according to the manual, only interlaced, (I've never tried, has anybody?) It would be intersting if it was to work, using the player as the de interlacer and the quadscan for scaling, the quads weakness being its de interlacing compared to newer chips currently being used. Might be worth trying if you can take a machine home.

Regards Rob.

3. Leon Rees

Leon Rees

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Rob...

I guess I was assuming interlaced output... never really thought about progressive.

I'd be surprised if the Quad separates out the scaling and de-interlacing stages of output.

Do you notice any improvement with your machine when using component versus S-Video?

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,048
    The Quadscan doesn't accept progressive scan input signals. It only accepts interlaced video signals.

There are some documented problems with using s-video and composite input with Quadscans. The component input is generally accepted as being superior, although I used the s-video input with no problems when I had mine.

Component is a higher bandwidth signal I believe and should give you superior detail and colour accuracy. Perhaps Rob could do the dem for us. Use a favourite disc and also a test pattern from something like Video Essentials or AVIA and let us know if you see any difference and if you do which you prefer!

All the best,

Gordon

5. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Leon,
    On my 808s RGBHV is connected directly to my Cinematrix moded Sony 7700.
    The progressive signal is through (added) RGBHV bnc connections. The S Video and Composite are standard interlaced outs.
    Most quality amps are very good at passing video signals. It is said that my Denon A1SE is virtually transparent but I disagree.
    My view on this is the less detours the better.
    While I have routed an S Video signal (from port 2 in the Barco) to the Denon, I only use this as switching for Sky or my SVideo player.
    The image I get from the direct 5 wire bnc's at 960p when playing dvd has to be seen to be believed.
    Eric

6. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I'll do some tests and post my findings.

Regds Rob.