1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component video connection problem

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by benst, Nov 3, 2004.

1. benst

benst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I have a 3 year old Hitachi 37 inch plasma display and a DGTEC 2000a high definition digital free-to-air TV tuner. I'm not sure of the model number of the display but it's got a 1024x1024 resolution and is referred to as "high definition" by Hitachi.

I can use a VGA cable and get a pretty good picture, but I'd like to use component video cables so i can set the TV to one channel (like AV1) and connect the tuner and DVD player to my home-theatre receiver and let it do the video switching.

When using component video cables the picture from the DVD player is just fine, but the picture from the TV tuner appears to be out of synch horizontally.

What could cause this? Is it simply an incompatiblity between the TV tuner and the display? Is it at all likely that the TV tuner could be modified to send the right signal?

One interesting yet possibly unrelated issue is that I get the same out of synch picture if I turn on the progressive scan output of my Denon 2800 DVD player.

Many thanks for any help.

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I think your plasma may have some restrictions on the component video inputs, ie no progressive scan, and probably no hi definition component either. Your hi def box is likely to be kicking out 720p. The screen may be high resolution, the electronics may not accept a hi def signal, at 3 years old that's the most likely explanation. Various Hitachis have had progressive scan issues, 3 years ago it wasn't commonplace. They are a manufacturer who build down to a price, if it costs too much they will leave it off.

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    the unit is an Alis panel (have a search for Alis) can you change output of box to 1080i???

4. benst

benst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My hi-def box is supposed to output 1080i when it's outputting HD, but most of the time it's outputting 576i.

5. benst

benst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately the tuner is VERY inflexible. It was the first available HD tuner here in Australia and has a very bad reputation. You pretty much can't change anything other than the channel.

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    is there an NTSC ouput option? instead of PAL?

7. benst

benst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I discovered a switch on the back which allows me to choose 576p, thanks to some info I found on the web.

I now have an in-synch picture!!!

I'll have to manually flick that switch to get 1080i for the rare occasion that something decent on TV is in HD.

Thanks to all for your help and thoughts.