Component video connection not working 'no signal'

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jonnykerm, Dec 25, 2006.

1. jonnykerm

jonnykerm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Denon AV1906 receiver and have tried to plug in my lcd tv to the monitor output via the component connction, but the tv doesn't pick anything up, saying 'no signal' can you help with this at all? It does however work if plugged into the s-video monitor plug.

2. barijohn

barijohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    The Denon 1906 will only send something over Component if the input is component. The OSD display only goes via S/Video or Composite.

So if you have nothing connected via Component there will be no signal.

HTH.

B.

3. jonnykerm

jonnykerm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    aah right i see, thanks you. Just a couple of further questions :thumbsup:

What do you mean by this "The OSD display only goes via S/Video or Composite" and what is the difference between composite and component?

thanks

4. andykn

andykn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +232
    Component is where the picture is transmitted using three separate signals. Y for the Luminance (black and white) information and U and V (Or Pb and Pr) for the Chrominance (Colour) information. This usually uses three RCA phono type connectors and shielded 75ohm impedance cable with Red, Green and Blue coloured connectors. More accurately called YUV Component or YPbPr Component.

Composite carries all this information together as one signal. It is usually carried either on a SCART connector or a lead with Yellow RCA phono type connectors.

Component is better than S-Video, which are both better than Composite.

RGB is similar to Component but the three signals are straight Red, Green and Blue. Usually carried on 3 pins of a SCART connector. Most A/V amps won't handle RGB. Consumer RGB doesn't support High Definition (HD). RGB and Component are equivalent quality provided the Component isn't HD.

The OSD is the on screen display that you see, for example, when you change the volume. But you'll only see it on your TV screen if the TV screen is showing the Composite (Yellow phono) or S-Video (4 pin black) output of the Amp.

5. jonnykerm

jonnykerm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So the cable that ive got that is red green and blue plugs, will that not act as a component cable? because i am using that cable to connect the component to component in my av receiver to my tv. my tv has the option of RGB input type, but i assumed that was the same as component. im confused lol.

6. barijohn

barijohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    That is the right cable to send connect via component however unless you have your dvd or xbox connnected via componet you won't get anything on your TV. You will also need to select this as no auto switching on component normally.

I used to have my 1906 connected via componet to the projector and then use a S/Video lead to see the on screen display. Not ideal but the best the amp could do.

Better? :lesson:

7. jonnykerm

jonnykerm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah i think i get it now, so there is no point in me connecting via component as i dont have any other devices that are component aswell, my freeview is s-video, my dvd is optical audio and s-video. doh! :mad:

i didnt realise that the on screen display would be a s-video connection, aswell as the component connection for devices.

8. andykn

andykn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +232
    It is confusing and I made exactly the same mistake a while ago. Thats how I now know that RGB Component and YUV Componment (YPbPr) are equivalent but not the same.

The Red green and Blue cable you've got is for YUV Component (YPbPr) but you do need a source that will provide it and a TV that can display it.

You can get RGB to YUV Component converters, but its not really worth it just to feed stuff through your amp.

9. barijohn

barijohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Correct. However if you connect the S/Video from Monitor out to the TV you can at least use the video switching on the Amp to switch between Freeview and DVD. No Component out on the DVD?

10. jonnykerm

jonnykerm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nope, no component out on my DVD unfortunatley.

11. jonnykerm

jonnykerm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does this mean that if i connected a device via component, I wouldn't get the OSD? Because on the TV menu you select the input as either component or s-video etc, not both?

12. barijohn

barijohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Unfortunately that is correct. The Denon 1906 does not output the OSD over component. I didn't mind though as I never used it.

13. jonnykerm

jonnykerm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont suppose it matters too much as it is all shown on the Denon's own screen anyway.

14. dupfold

dupfold

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've recently purchased my Denon 1906 and I have the OSD running via component, however only on one av tv channel. Is it possible to have it displayed across all av channels?

15. barijohn

barijohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I'll be totally suprised if you are getting it over component. Are you sure your not connecting via composite or S-Video as well?

Unless they upgraded the Amp in it's lifetime it cannot overlay the OSD on the component output.

Bari.

16. dupfold

dupfold

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    sorry, getting component and composite mixed up! :oops: :oops: :oops:

You are right, getting OSD via composite and not component which is a pity.

Why did they not include this simply feature?

Apart from that, only had my 1906 a few days and must say am very impressed (my first AV amp).

Purchased the MS 309i today too, my neighbours are going to love me! :devil:

17. jonnykerm

jonnykerm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is a superb amp, my first av amp too! just wish i had more money for better speakers and dvd player :mad:

18. barijohn

barijohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Yeah I just upgraded from the 1906 to the 3805. It's a great starter amp and sounds great when partnered with similar spec speakers and amp.

Though I was suprised by how much better the 3805 is at moving the sound arround. Though for the price difference it should be! :rotfl:

Have fun with it guys and don't forget you can always upgrade it next year! :smashin:

19. dupfold

dupfold

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    you gotta get decent speakers to get the best out of it! Sell a kidney or something, it be worth it :smashin:

20. jonnykerm

jonnykerm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I only have a pair of Eltax Silverstones (please dont laugh) at the moment, I got them for my 18th birthday (5 years ago) and I still think they sound great, but im sure a nice pair of expensive ones will sound better, but cant stretch to new ones just yet.

21. dupfold

dupfold

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

22. dupfold

dupfold

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    he he! only kidding!

As long as your still happy with them thats all that matters! I'm stilling running my Mordaunt Short 208 which are at least 5 years old now too and I'm still loving them.

23. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    for the money you pay for Eltax speakers you usually get a reasonably deal out of it, certainly better than most Midi system speakers you'd get in a big electrical retailer.......

however i found spending just that ickle bit more for the Missions or Wharefedales usually paid dividends....

24. jonnykerm

jonnykerm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is the best way to have a speaker setup with my 1906? I want a good pair of floor standers like i have now for listening to stereo music, so do i just add a centre, 2 rears and a sub to the setup for 5.1. I believe this amp also does 6.1?!

25. barijohn

barijohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Yeah it does 6.1 and 7.1. If you can match the centre speaker with your original fronts as this will balance the front. Then get a decent sub and some rears. Personally depends on the size of your room if you need 6.1 or 7.1. Most people are fine with 5.1.

HTH

26. davybaker

davybaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    It all depends on your room size and if you wanna spend the time hiding loadsa cables under the carpets.

I'm quite chuffed with the 5.1 output from the 1906 which goes to a set of Kef KHT1005s. I've not got any kit which does 6.1 or 7.1 yet but if and when I do, then I'll invest in some larger stereo frontspeakers and move the remaining spare pair of Kefs to the surround back positions. That way I'm trying 5.1 at first and leaving my options open to upgrade later!