Component video connection cable problems

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by brian mcsweeney, Nov 8, 2004.

1. brian mcsweeney

brian mcsweeney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently purchased and LG RE44SZ21RD DLP tv and I'm reasonably happy with it so far.
    However, I do seem to have one problem which I can't seem to resolve and wonder if anyone could help or point me in the right direction.
    I've connected JVC component video cables from my my LG DVD/video recorder to my LG tv, but components 1 and 2 on the telly are saying they are not receiving any component signal and the DVD player is not recognised on the tv. I haven't got a clue as to where I may be going wrong.
    The cables are in their correct colour coded inputs and are securely positioned. I have no other SCART connections from the DVD player.
    Can anyone help?

2. roym

roym
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hi brian,

check to see if the scart output of the dvd player is set to RGB, if it is select composite or s video as some dvd players cannot output component and RGB at the same time.

3. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    Are you sending "component video" signal or have you just tried using a scart to phonos lead??? If so a scart to phonos lead only works where the scart socket of the source device is actually able to send out component video in the first instance (very rare - most send RGB).

4. brian mcsweeney

brian mcsweeney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help guys. The DVD definitely has component video capabilities but in the DVD set up menu there doesn't seem to be an option to choose s-video, component or RGB. Any ideas where I can find this?

5. roym

roym
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    unfortunatly brian i am not familier with LG menus, is there not a video or tv section in the menu this is where you would normaly find these options, if not then it would seem to be a hardware problem, could you not try a freinds dvd player or try your player on a freinds, just a thought :rolleyes:

6. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    The option to select output is usually within the 'picture' menu. But looking at the service manual online for the LG DV6900( a DVD/VCR combo with component), it doesn't mention this which leads me to believe it auto selects the best output connected ( component in this case)
    Try checking the Special Menu and then the Main Input option. Select Component 1 and insure the cables are plugged into the row of component inputs on the left of the two sets on the rear.

7. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    I meant on the TV for this bit !!!

8. brian mcsweeney

brian mcsweeney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fixed the problem, which I suppose I'm partly to blame for.

Although I would put some of the blame onto LG and their rotten instruction manual which fails to tell you that at the back of the unit there is actually a tiny switch which gives you the option of RGB or Component. Switch it to component and hey presto!
    Surely it would have made much more sense and be a much more user-friendly option if this was available in the DVD's on-screen menu. Or am I just daft?
    Thanks for all your help everyone.