1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

component video capture software

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by MikeFish, Jan 25, 2005.

1. MikeFish

MikeFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is the best software to use for capturing component video from a Sweetspot card?
    I have WinDVD Creator2, which looks like a nice program and does everything I want it to do except it won't allow me to capture using the component input.
    I downloaded a trial version of Main Concepts PVR, but when I watched the DVD back the quality was awful (I might be doing something wrong though).
    Anyone have any thoughts/ experiences?

Thanks

2. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    I have used both successfully.

Have you loaded the WDM drivers for the Sweetspot? Without them Creator 2 won't see the card. I currently use Creator 2 with Sweetspot SDI cards, but the analogue card should work just as well.

You need to play around with the settings in Mainconcept PVR to get good results. Principally set the resolution to 720x576. You can use DVD or MPEG(custom) settings, the latter gives you more control over bitrates. If you set the performance/quality slider too far towards quality you may get jerky recordings unless you have a really powerful PC. I have a 3.2GHz P4 and I still drop some frames when recording unles I lower the quality setting.

3. MikeFish

MikeFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Philip
    I have installed the WDM drivers. Creator 2 can see the sweetspot OK, the problem is that component is not one of the options for video source. It has 2 S-video options or 6 composite input options but no component or RGB!

I also have a P4 3.2GHz. I had the slider all the way over towards quality though! I mentioned the quality was awful. What I should have said was that the picture was jerky, but also when close up to the screen you could see scan lines. I'll try it again at a lower rate.
    Thanks.

4. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Mike

We havent tried that Creator 2 app, but it doesnt sound like it is seeing the driver correctly - if it is not seeing the full range of inputs from the card.

5. babaroga

babaroga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    David,

Which software do you recommend for video capture ?
    I want to transfer some of my old video tapes onto DVD and NeroVision Express is having the same problems as Creator2.
    Also, do I need a Timebase Corrector device before plugging VCR into Sweetspot ?

regards
    Darko

6. babaroga

babaroga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    bump so guys from Pluggedin can see this post

7. MikeFish

MikeFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would be interested in which software David would recommend for video capture too.

8. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Mikefish

Do you see a picture in the capture window? With my SDI cards it doesn't matter which input I choose I still get the same results.

Its the same with PVR - SDI is channel 8 in the set up menu but I can select anything I like and the picture doesn't change.

Darko - are you using Nero visionExpress 3? I have used NVE2 no problem with the SDI cards, but upgraded tonight to 3 and now the software can't see the cards :confused:

In my experience any software developed for WDM based cards will work with Sweetspot (well except NVE3 anyway :rolleyes: ), but they're not all created equal.

9. babaroga

babaroga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yup, it's NVE3.0.1.27. Use to have NVE2, but never tested. Tried both btwincap and wmd drivers, but no joy....:(

10. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Darko

We may have a shared problem here.

When I first installed NVE3 it "saw" the Sweetspot card - ie it's listed in that small box just above the preview screen, but when I tried to run the test wizard that you get when you first launch NVE it reports no signal. NVE2 was (still is) fine. So it seems that NVE3 has a problem with the Sweetspot card and (maybe) the WDM driver. On one occasion NVE3 even crashed. My guess would be a driver clash, but only a guess.

David/Alex at Pluggedin - any thoughts?

I'm about to do a search around the Nero site to see if there's any info.

11. babaroga

babaroga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Philip,

I've serched Ahead.de and haven't found anything. I'm going to try to put back v2.1.2.18 and see if this works again. Maybe we should raise support request to Ahead and see what they have to say for themselves ?

I have also tried btwdmdrvinstaller5.3.8.zip from sourceforge and no luck at all.

regards
    Darko

12. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    We are shortly going to be reviewing various dedicated recording packages with a view to choosing the best one. As you have discovered they all change fairly rapidly so it makes 'picking a winner' a bit tricky.

That said iuVCR seems popular with a few of our users..

regards

13. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Darko

Me neither. I was keen to use NVE3 because of the ability to capture direct to MPEG4.

I've reverted to Creator2. Works well - the highest quality setting encodes about 165 minutes of video to 10Gb and files can be edited by Videoredo.

14. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,112
    IUvcr does look very good u want to optomise quality rather than just some primitive capture software with a simple gui and no tweakability.
    I remember downloading a hacked btwincap driver from this guy that sorted out my IDS falcon IDS capture card. He seems to know his stuff .

I think I'll give it a go. I don't have much call to capture via my sweetspot but it would be nice to know its there for completism's sake.

15. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,112
    Well I gave IUvcr a go.
    Once I had installed the huffyuv codec it seems to technically capture fine. No dropped frames sound seems to be in sync and is cd quality stereo.

However I can't for the life of me get this to playback without deinterlacing errors in either mediaplayer 10 (to be expected) or Theatertek even if I manually select what I assume to be a bob mode.

I'm still fiddling about but its a bit of a pain I'm not knowingly applying any deinterlacing to the capture and I'm capturing at 768x576 and 720x576 neither improves things though 720x576 would be the one to use I assume.

bit annoying

16. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,112
    Sorted you need to capture at 768x576 . It gets ugly if I try it at 720x576 although 768x576 has a big green edge down the RHS easy enough to tweak out with a custom aspect ratio in TT though.

This is capturing with a huffyuv compression which effectively halves the space you need but you are still looking at about 500M per minute! Better have a big disc array gentlemen! The huffyuv compressor also seems to have a field dominance button which might be useful.

Don't think I'll have much call for it myself but its nice to know its there.
    A realtime mpeg2 compressor either hardware or software would be a better bet I suspect. Wonder if you can get a decent software mpeg2 compressor to attach to IUvcr ...doubt it though.

Anyone know how showshifter handles this ...can't imagine it requires 200Gb to record your average film off the box ??

17. babaroga

babaroga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4

Philip,

Did you have to uninstall Nero completely?

I have tried "upgrading" (more likely downgrading) NVE, but got runtime errors as I have left Nero Reloaded 6.0.6 (or whatever number) as it was... and then my projector bulb decided that it had enough of me :(

Ordered new one, and hope it'll be with me by Tuesday, so until then I won't be able to try anything until then...

regards
    Darko

18. babaroga

babaroga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I could never got a playback with huffyuv as it would instantaniuosly crash the explorer and desktop. Maybe that has something to do with reclock...

I also had a few problems with sound synchronisation that would appear after 10 minutes of capture. There some other lossless compression codes around and I have to give them a go later...

19. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Darko

NVE3 just installs over the top of 2.

IuVCR is a bit fiddly for me. I really want the convenience of real time capture and compression which Creator2 gives you, even if quality may not be 100%. Its good enough.

20. babaroga

babaroga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4

Sorry, my brain didn't work as it should late last night, I thought you have reinstalled NVE2 over NVE3, then I just read Creator2 :D

iuvcr is OK and it is not that fiddly as you would expect, however codecs are real pain....

regards

21. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Sorry mate - see what you mean. Yes uninstalled 3 and reinstalled 2, which works fine. So Ahead have done something in 3 which causes the problem. Let's hope loads of peopole have the problem, then something may get done.