Component Video Cables

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by redlester, Mar 6, 2003.

1. redlester

redlester
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK here we go...I've just bought myself a Tosh SD220e to replace my old Sony DVD player (which wont even play CD-R's let alone DVD-R's).

Seeing as my Tosh picture frame TV also has component connections it makes sense to use these with the new DVD player, as this will also free up a scart socket on the TV.

My question is about component cables. These seem to vary wildly in price from my brief search on the web - from about £35, up to £99 from Richer Sounds!!

I want decent quality but I dont want to pay the earth for something that in practice I won't notice any benefit from. What component cable should I use and where from? Any good or bad experiences to relate on this?

As it's 75 ohm cable with phono connectors, could I just buy the cable and do it myself? Assuming my soldering is up to scratch would I get acceptable quality from this or is it not recommended?

I'm not after ultimate quality at any price - but would like to think I'm not restricting the performance of the kit by using dodgy cables. A happy medium will do. Any advice...?

2. gmt steve

gmt steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
  3. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can definitely second gmt steve's suggestion, the Supra's are excellent.

That said, as you're not running progressive scan, your gains are going to be smaller. Maybe a £30/£40 cable would be more appropriate and give you the same results.

4. redlester

redlester
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks fellas. Yes, I was hoping to pay a bit less than £60 though the AV3 does look to be the business.

Take a look here:
    http://www.hificables.co.uk/acatalog/Cable_catalogue_RGB_RCA_cables_36.html

What about the IXOS XHV704 at 'just' £36? Maybe that would achieve what I need?

By the way, I assume I'm correct in thinking that by using component instead of scart that I will lose the automatic switching achieved by scart - i.e. I will have to manually switch inputs on the TV to watch a DVD (using scart it just cuts in and comes on when the disc is fired-up..)

5. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personally I feel this would be very satisfactory for your requirements.

Yes, you will lose the auto-switching functionality.

6. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    ?

Mike.

7. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Personally I found the triple cable supplied with my Tosh 210, and intended for the digital and audio connection worked perfectly as a component connection for over a year at zero cost. I did eventually buy a dedicated quality connection after reading all the comment in these forums, but can honestly say I can see no improvement. I have to partly justify the waste of money to myself by noting that the original cable is now doing service in another application.

8. redlester

redlester
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If that's the case, Ken, then my thoughts on DIY cables might not be so far fetched.....?

9. gothmog

gothmog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Theres a selection here:

CPC

Starting at £2.42 + vat ;)

I'm using a 10m AV0461566 one (which turned out to be a profigold), works really well with my SD210.

-- Jon

10. sharon

sharon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Strange thing about video cable. I've done blind tests with audio cable and I've been consistently able to hear a difference between different cables and there's been a (very) rough collaration between increased quality and price... but when I've tried the same with video cables I've never been able to prove anything other than between the cheapest, nasiest in-box cables and the rest. I did this in earnest with my progressive scan Panasonic screen and Arcam 88+ but still nothing - and I tried cables at near £20, £30, £50, £100 and nearly £200.... what have others found?

11. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    If you are handy with a soldering iron you can make the cables yourself - at any length required.
    x meter of SAT (75 Ohm) cable and 6 RCA/phono connectors will IMHO do the trick cheaper than anything else.

12. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sharon, when you did this test, did you do it with picture only (no audio?). It's a well known psychological element to the human sensory system that the sound you hear will directly influence your perception of what you're seeing.

In other words, show the exact same video clip twice, once with an average sounding 5.1 set-up then again with a decent quality audio set-up, and the viewer will almost always state that the picture quality was better the second time round.

This means that, assuming your tests used the same audio set-up each time, it's even less likely you'll perceive a difference in PQ.

Conversely to your findings, I have found that differences between the £20-£100 audio interconnect cables are fairly subtle (albeit there are differences) whilst the differences between £20 to £100 SCART leads is far more noticeable. I do concede that my trials with component cables have been limited at best and that the ones I have tried haven't shown marked differences in quality. I like the Supra's mainly because they ensure very little strain on the TV/DVD input/output socketry.

13. TimD

TimD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I got a 5' component cable from Blue Jeans Cable.

It's excellent quality, arrived in about 5 days and cost less than £40.

Tim

14. sharon

sharon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh pooh!! That means I'm gonna have to do the test again, this time without the sound!!! Ah well, I was looking for the next thing to blow some cash on, maybe it'll be £100 component cables - thanks for the advice juboy

15. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Always happy to help people spend money :smashin:

Going back to the weird psychological effects of things... next time you brush your teeth (and try not to think about it too much) try doing it once with the cold tap turned on so the water runs hard and then try it with the water barely trickling out... and see how your teeth brushing style changes :eek:

16. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    Hi redlester,

I'll second what TimD said about BlueJeansCable - excellent quality and pretty cheap too, even if you do get charged VAT and import duty. :smashin:

Steve

17. Bish

Bish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    Ok, i'll chip in with my 2 pennys worth...

Precious Metal.

Who?? i hear you cry...well i hadnt heard of them either until my local dealer introduced me to them.

1 metre component cable sells for around £90 to £100 and in my opinion they are THE very best video cables i have found to date. The company does very little advertising, no fancy packaging but instead puts all its efforts into building reference quality cables.

Me and my Arcam 88plus auditioned a number of flagship cables from most of the well know manufacturers (supra, qed, ixos to name but a few) playing progressive into the PannyW5 most were very good indeed, if i hadnt come across the percious metals i would definitely have gone for the supra's, dont know whether its just a lucky match made in heaven with the cable, Arcam and Panny but the images with the Precious Metals were noticibly improved.

18. TimD

TimD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I may well have been lucky - I didn't pay any VAT or Import Duty. :D

19. redlester

redlester
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Update: Am using the cheapo cable supplied as Ken suggests at present. I plugged the unit in using this cable and also scart, then switched between the two while looking at the on-screen setup graphics. The difference was amazing. The scart was fuzzy round the edges of the text whereas the component is pin-sharp even with this cheap standard phono cable! It will do for now...

Have found two 75ohm phono to phono video cables that came with graphics cards we bought ages ago at work, and rescued them from being binned. I just need one more and I will be able to rest easy that at least I'm using the correct type of cable, if not necessarily the "best".

Mind you, I'm one of these people who can't hear any difference in types of speaker cables etc. so I'm probably very easy pleased, but as far as I'm concerned if I can't hear the difference then I don't try to convince myself that I can (emperor's new clothes and all that...)

20. bluebaron

bluebaron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm always amazed how much people will pay for component cables. As long as there are no faults with the cable ie. dry joint or something I challenge anyone to tell the difference between a £10 cable and a £200 one. At least for anything under 10m or so.

In fact I challenged my local AV store to let me try out my home made cables (£14 all in from Maplins) against their £150 set they were trying to sell me. It was no surprise to me that they didn't go for the challenge.

21. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    This should only happen if your SCART is configured for composite video only. If it is setup for RGB it should be as sharp as the component.