1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component Video Cables

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by mcmullanbrush, Aug 15, 2002.

1. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know I am a moron:(

But can someone tell me, are component video cables just phono leads x3:confused:

2. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I've tried ordinary RCA phonos and posh component leads, I can't see any difference.

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Preferrably they are of the 75 Ohm type but normal (good) interconnects will IMHO do, too.

4. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that.

I need about 4 meters and someone suggested Keene Electronics. I have bought cables from them in the past but they dont seem to be of the highest quality. Any other ideas?

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    They are fine, all you need.:)

6. JoseCarlos76

JoseCarlos76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi, i have my dvd conect to my tv via a composite connection but with component cable (yellow, red and white) so i put yellow on green, white on blue and red on red, well it looks better with this configuration than with the component connection, but i wish to know if worth the money to buy a real red,blue and green composite cable, i mean a radioshack 20 buck composite cable, cause composite cables looks like ordinary rca cables.
    thank for your help :D

7. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I think you have mixed up the terms component (aka YUV) and composite: component uses the red, green and blue connections (and that should indeed look better than composite).

The yellow, red and white cable is not a component cable, it's a standard AV cable (yellow = video/composite, white = audio left, red = audio right).
    However it can be used for a component connection, too, though it might not be ideal, depending on your equipment used and the quality of the cable.

Component cables are intended for video, they differ in terms of impedance from ordinary RCA audio cables, i.e. audio cables have an impedance of 50 Ohm while video cables (composite, component, RGB etc.) have 75 Ohm.
    If it makes any visible difference is hard to tell though ....

8. JoseCarlos76

JoseCarlos76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes i confuse terms, sorry if my post sounds confusing but what i made was a component connection(r,g,b) but with composite cables(y,r,w) so i use these 3 composite cables (y,r,w) as component cables.
    but anyway you answer me, i was suspecting that composite cables, especially using red and white (originally made for audio) used them for video is not the best, anyway it improve the image compare to the composite connection i made before.
    So now i gona buy a real component cable to improve much better.
    thanks a lot for your help :thumbsup: