1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component Video cables????

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by reddevil, Jun 12, 2001.

1. reddevil

reddevil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone recommend good quality cables and online supplier for component video so I can link my Pioneer 737 and my new Toshiba 36ZP18B TV. I believe this is far superior than RGB and S-Video. :rolleyes:

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Reddevil, have you tried www.beststuff.co.uk
    seem to remember somebody in the 36ZPKIT recommending them for all sorts of cables etc.

Regards
    Barrie

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,788
    Hi Redevil:

Component is a form of analogue compression for an RGB signal. Your TV works by using an RGB signal. DVD's have information stored on them in Component (because it takes up less space).

So, the only reason component would be better than RGB would be if the conversion from component to rgb(in the TV) was better than the conversion from component to rgb in the DVD).

I'd try both.

Gordon

[ 14-06-2001: Message edited by: Gordon, StereoStereo ]

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Reddevil - did you get anywhere. I'm trying to connect my DVD to Tosh 36ZP18 via Scart on DVD and Component on TV.

Tried Barrie's suggestion but couldn't find anything, also tried www.lekropacks.co.uk where I got all my other cables but can't find anything there either!

Cheers
    OG

5. reddevil

reddevil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OG: Still looking for cables.
    I want to connect my DVD player with component video to the TV and use scart for my Sky box to TV.
    There is a place www.custom-cable.co.uk that sell a good range of cables but there site is down so trying to contact by phone.
    Will post my findings. :)

6. reddevil

reddevil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OG: That web site you gave doesn't work.
    Is that the correct address?

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Typo - sorry!

URL should be www.lektropacks.co.uk.

I've just spoken to them and basically you can't connect Scart to Component so I'm stuffed anyway.

8. bug

bug

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi fellas

I have a toshiba 40wh08b rptv and toshiba sd9000 dvd, I had my component lead made up by pounds and it cost £85 for 3 metres it really is a superb lead.

Hope that helps there phone number:
    020 8804 3000

9. General Murmur

General Murmur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very little difference between RGB output thru' scart and component input [RGB]

I know, because the piece of Sh*t 46" Tosh RPTV stopped working on component input so I had to use Scart while waiting for the engineer to arrive.

I am seriously considering putting a negative thread into the forum regarding not only the flimsiness of the rear connector panel on these RPTV's [something I have ranted about before !], but also the laughable internal layout and untidyness of this range of TV's.

All the main circuit boards are "fitted" to the internal base of the TV frame, the inputs are all on a vertical riser card [like a PC expansion slot ]which screws onto the fibreboard rear panel. So if you lift or move the TV, it induces a flex in the whole frame which causes the riser board to jump out of its connector where you could lose all input connectivity, not just component as in my case.

So if you have any thoughts that you are getting a well built quality piece of kit that will last for years think again. I think in a few months there will be an increasing number of ****ed off RPTV customers out there.

10. mspiteri

mspiteri
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Component video cables are identical to high quality audio phono cables. I got three 15ukp (each) cables from an AV store in Cambridge last Sat and they work absolutely fine.

Mark

11. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,788
    Although you can use audio cables and get a picture it's unlikely that it's the same standard as the cable defined for component video transmission.

You should use a 75ohm interconnect. In actual fact, digital interconnects are more likely to be satisfactory than audio ones.

I have used Ecosse Ref's RG59 based digital incon and currrently get good results with an RG6 cable from Scandinavia whose name escapes me.

Gordon

12. reddevil

reddevil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OG: Managed to get through to Custom Cable and ordered the Supra AV6 connector. This is for component video as advised by the sales rep. There are different makes and some quite expensive...I paid £40 for the above.
    Their web site www.custom-cable.co.uk is suppose to be up and running this Sunday but in the meantime you can contact them on 020 8942 9124.
    Explain what TV and DVD connections you have and what you want to do etc. and they will recommend some to you.
    Hope this is of all to you and anyone else looking for cables. :)

13. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that red

14. jon smith

jon smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    what about a cable for progressive scan component, any recommendations. Are they different to normal component (I am so confused).

jon