component video cables

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jubbly, Jul 12, 2001.

1. jubbly

jubbly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a toshiba tv & dvd which both have component video inputs and outputs respectively.
    The tv manual says to use phono leads and audio t have recomended 3 separate rca to rca profigold interconnects at a tenner each, are these the same things ?

2. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Yes they are.
    RCA is phono.
    The only question is how good those leads are?
    Most likely a big improvement on basic, bog standard ones.

3. jubbly

jubbly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    does anyone know if component video is any better than rgb through my scart, will i notice the difference ?

4. ISCM

ISCM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All I can say is that Sun computers use Component and not RGB like a normal PC and they have a very sharp picture.
    Regarding Phono leads, the requirement is more like a digital or video lead (RF frequencies with very good screening and 75 ohm termination), so about £25 + would be normal to get the best picture. I would imagine that the leads should be identical.
    In the context of your TV and DVD, spending £75-£100 to get the best picture out of them would seem money well spent. I am sure your dealer could advise you of this and possibly lend you a set.

[ 12-07-2001: Message edited by: ISCM ]

5. jubbly

jubbly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just tried my dvd with my profigold interconnects at a tenner each and a ten quid vivanco co-axial lead for the dolby digital sound and it looks and sounds pretty damm good to me - £40 all in, not a bad deal i reckon.
    Correct me if i'm wrong but i don't think i would notice any difference if i spent loads more money on expensive leads.

6. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,105
    I recently got my Pioneer 939-A and had to change from Optical to phono's to get DVD Audio...Using the cheaper (yet alright) quality cables...I found that I had some interference from a TV station and if turned up loud enough I could hear a TV reception..I went out and picked up a set (three pairs) of Audioquest cables and now the signal is crystal and not a hint of interference...The Audioquests were fairly pricey at around £80 a set...but I didn't think it was worth skimping onleads after spending on my DVD and amp..(Denon AVCA1SE)...

7. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Jubbly, it depends very much on your other equipment if more expensive cables are worth it or not.

For the former question: the difference between RGB and Component (if any) would be hard to notice unless you have eagle-eyes.

8. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use component video through my scart, before I used RGB.
    It is like changing from TV to Photos... the color and the background detail improved a lot...

I have Arcam DV-88 with Loewe Vitros.

9. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,105
    you haven't confused composite with component there have you..??