1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

component video cables,, how much ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by tony m, Jul 15, 2002.

1. tony m

tony m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    when i get a panny ae100

any retailer online or high st
    which sells component cables
    at a good price
    no idea what people are paying for these
    5 or 10 mtrs long
    what kind of price do these start at

2. Bonzer Belle

Bonzer Belle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They can be expensive! QED did me a custom 7.5 metre set.........(beautifully made mind you) for 180 pounds.........expensive by my standards, but I know of a lad with a Nordost set up that cost him over 600................................ I'm sure there are many others out there who can give more advice.

3. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    got mine from the media factory for my panny

3 x 10m component cables for £70

4. Bonzer Belle

Bonzer Belle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They can be expensive! QED did me a custom 7.5 metre set.........(beautifully made mind you) for 180 pounds.........expensive by my standards, but I know of a lad with a Nordost set up that cost him over 600................................ I'm sure there are many others out there who can give more advice.

5. Bonzer Belle

Bonzer Belle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Er..........don't know why my post repeated itself. Sorry.

6. tony m

tony m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for that
    £600 a set "mmm" think about that one
    chic
    so is £70 the starting point and are they an unbranded
    cable
    cheers

7. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    they are vandamme vables whuch are good quality witth gold phono connectors quite a few people on here with the panny got there cables from the media factory

8. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Got mine from the Media Factory also. Arrived today. £28.08 for a 5m set and £35.37 for a 10m set. Each set contains one red, one blue and one green cable - literally, the cable itself is coloured - very nice touch. Also, connectors are all metal with gold connectors. Very nice cables indeed at an amazing price.

http://www.tmfsolutions.co.uk
    0131 653 3333
    Ask for Colin. V. helpful and friendly.

Neil

9. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    You don’t need anything more than the media factory are supplying. Look for 75 Ohm coax preferably with 75 Ohm plugs but that is more dependent on the equipment you are connecting to (use BNC if possible not RCA). 50p / m RG59 is all you actually need.

10. tiberious

tiberious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    messiah -

that link seems to suggest the prices are somewhat higher than you quoted ( £49/£54)- is there a specials page or something else I`m missing ??

cheers

11. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Don't know. The prices I quoted above are the prices I paid. Check out the Media Factory quotation I was sent which gives these charges.

Attached Files:

12. tiberious

tiberious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks messiah - maybe i`ll drop them some mail !!

13. tony m

tony m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for all your replys
    seems like the media factory
    is the place to go with
    cheers

14. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I normally pay lots for cables, but the 3x10m vandamnes from TMF do me just fine. If your projector is £8K + you might decide you want better, otherwise you'll have no worries.

15. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got mine from Custom-cable.co.uk. I needed 24Ft cables in order to hide them. I choose the Supra cable for both the sVideo and Component connections. I really like these cables as the colours are really vibrant. Together the total price came to £220 including delivery, delivery was 8 days for custom cables.

I asked Sevenoaks for a quote as well for the cables from Chord Company, thankfully they made a slight mistake and send them to my home address fully custom made without me paying for them!!!! As such I was able to make a direct comparison between the two brands and must admit that although Chord was really good, I preferred Supra (Swedish).

For the record, I was honest and returned the cables to Sevenoaks without any hassle.

I have tried the 'cheaper' white label cables which are guaranteed to be 75Ohm etc....Well I can definitely spot a difference, a major one to be honest.

Especially as you are talking about a longish run. Get some decent cables, or even better try them out before you buy so you can believe your own eyes.

Cheers,

Jean-Paul

16. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Jean-Paul

Why is it the cable that is causing the difference? Why not the poorly designed plugs, cheapo solder and generally substandard manufacturing techniques? These are far more creditable engineering reasons for the differences to be caused by everything OTHER than the cable but we are insisting it is differences in cable. Why?

17. snelly

snelly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Nic,

I think that when some people say "cable" they are referring to the whole lead (plugs, connectors, conductor, shielding and insulator. So by referring to a cheap "cable" all the consituent parts would also likely be of lower quality.

However I understand and agree with your points about the plugs, solder etc. The mechanical joints in any lead of this sort will always degrade signal. It is simply not possible for any interface (say between solder and cable core) to 'improve' the signal as it can not add information that was not there - merely degrade the signal to a greater or lesser extent. I often ask myself if expensive banana plugs are worth it as opposed to attaching wire straight to binding posts in speaker cable for example - the only grounds I can think of for banana plugs are convenience and possibly the fact that they will be plated in an inert metal.

Tim

18. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Tim

I agree with what you are saying but John Paul 'intimated' in his note a cheaper cable was showing differences not the whole thing. Certainly the way I read it. The wide point is that the finger is always pointed at the cable but never actually at the things that matter:

No engineer would ever use:

1. solder for this joint, they would crimp
    2. RCA plugs that are not the same 'impedence' characteristic. They would use BNCs etc

but it always the 75ohms cable fault :( In reality it rarely is for properly screened 75 ohm coax

19. snelly

snelly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    <---- BEng (Mech) here agrees about the solder vs crimping - but I wonder how many quality leads are actually soldered. Using solder does add one extra interface, however it prob also increases the conducting surface area so is an easy way of guaranteeing a stable connection - or not. :confused:

I think in order to keep the signal path as pure as possible it would be ideal to keep terminations/connections to a minimum such as having speaker cable directly wired between amp and speakers. Of course in reality few would want the relative levels of in'flex'ibility this brings with it.

On the note of that awful pun I think I'll get my coat!

20. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My apologies for my bad use of the English language. Of-course I meant the lead and not just the cable only.

I am glad that there are still people like Tim around who can understand those subtleties. I am certain though that my English is a whole lot better than you Dutch, but please do correct me on that point as well Nic.

Tim has said it so correctly, every cable (and lead in this instance) degrades the signal that it is carrying. Some just a bit less than others. Convenience plays a major role and like with everything in life it is about compromises.

Trust me, the fact that the Supra cables have a nice white sleave makes my wife happy and thus makes me happy. I am quite confident that it has little to none impact on the quality, but it does on my quality of life ;-)

Just like bananaplugs, in theory they should decrease the quality. However if you want to disconnect your speakers regurarly for cleaning purposes (there's my wife again). I definitely prefer them compared to binding posts. It safes a small fortune on putting new cables in as the existing ones are getting shorter and shorter and shorter.

Cheers,

Jean-Paul

21. tony m

tony m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dare i buy mail order after reading that

gave the media factory a call.the special price
    £35 for 10 mtrs is finished
    quick call to lectropacks
    they quoted £35 for same lengths
    but no other info

22. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Didn't even know it was a special offer. Makes a change for a bit of luck to go inmy favour :D Big cheesy grin....

23. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Jean Paul. As I haven't spoke Durch regularly for almost 20 years I am sure you have the edge. In fact I don't think I remember it anymore anyway, along with a few other languages like Zulu (honest I used to fluent in Zulu):blush: I bet not many people know that about me.

I think you take my post too personally. If you read it, it is / was a genuine question with a serious point behind for all to think about. The point is still good. We always talk about cable / lead differences but people here seem to be agreeing that my point is correct on plugs, screening and soldering but people still pay a fortune of cables. Why?.

I apologise if I have caused offence. My post was meant to understand more about people views not to have a go at you. I leave that stuff to the non AV owner nutters we have on the forum.

If it is good enough for the BBC....and other professionals.....;)

24. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    Hello all

Just a quick message to clarify on our VanDamme cable pricing. We have been supplying the VanDamme cables for around five years now on our commercial installs and only fairly recently started to offer pre made cables to our Home Cinema customers.

Having reviewed the last couple of months sales we had to make a decision to increase our pre made prices to cover our admin costs - our prices up until recently were fine when we were supplying cables as part of a large installation but did not fully cover the costs of individual sales.

I hope our new prices are still seen as good value for an excellent product.

Best regards

Joe

25. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nic,

I didn't take it personally and do understand your point with which I agree.

I think there is another angle to this discussion as well. Believe your own eyes and ears. When it comes down to hifi and visuals I prefer to try out myself and not just believe other peoples opinions.

Or in other words, I think there is even a worse culprit than the cables, connectors etc... The capability or disability in peoples hearing and eye sight. Add personal preferences to that as well and you have got an interesting mix of opinions.

Bottom line is; try before you buy, trust your own findings and don't just blindly follow reviews done by other people.

Regards,

Jean-Paul