1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component Video Cable Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Jonny1973, Jan 23, 2002.

1. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd ordered an Ixos 171AV 5 metre Component Video cable for my new projector from Techtronics.

Unfortunately, Techtronics cancelled my order due to the unavailabilty of the product.

Can anyone recommend a supplier where I can purchase the Ixos cable or another good quality component video cable.

Thanks,

Jonny

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Jonny,

No sweat, give Audiovision in Brighouse a call (not that far from you) and they'll make the leads up to whatever length you need. QED Qunex plugs and Qunex 750 Precision co-ax (thats 99.999% OFC), I got an 8 metre set made up for £200.

Don't know if thats good value or not but the length was critical and they don't come off-the-shelf at 8m!

Hope this helps.

3. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Lieutenant,

I was after the Ixos 171AV cable rather than a custom-made one. I like Ixos but would consider other quality brands. Techtronics were doing the Ixos 5m cable for 34 quid plus VAT and delivery.

Length isn't an issue for me right now but when I move house it might be. I was getting the 5m cable to be on the safe side.

Jonny.

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    jonny i got 15 m of component cable seperate cables red green blue made by van damme and high quality connects from maplins ive used it to make two leads a 10 and a 5 m picture is superb compared it with the ixos just as good it even looks better dean

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    Hello all

Jonny has stumbled into our holy grail of cables. We use the VanDamme range across the board on our AV installs and Home Cinema systems and the price/quality is fantastic.

There is a huge range of 'off the shelf' cables in lengths up to 10m in most video and audio variants you would need in a consumer system and for anything 'out of the ordinary' its usually a two to three day lead time to have something built to order.

We are about to start work with the UK VanDamme distributor to put together a 'Home Cinema' range so any suggestions please shout.

Joe

6. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Van Damme cable is about as good as it gets every studio I have been in uses them.

I do too! The only thing you don't get is the packaging.

7. jon smith

jon smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Are component cables different from normal phono cables? I've always wondered this, but never beem able to find an answer.

8. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
  9. Cliff

Cliff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,703
    Component video signals must be sent down 75 ohm coax (phono cable will not necessarily be 75 ohm)
    So if you can purchase good quality coax which matches your plugs then you should be in business.

BTY there is nothing particulaly difficult about sending a video signal down a cable. The frequency range is limited <10MHz compared with RF TV ^600MHz and Satallite^12GHz . Just make sure it has a good screen and that the terminations are 75ohm as well. Maplins sell a good range of cables- Van Damn being at the upper end.