1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component Video and my Z1. A query.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Bristol Pete, May 5, 2003.

1. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    Hello,

Z1 is connected with component video.

Picture is great.

However, I have a query.

If I conect with S-video, the PJ's menu allows to to actually choose what format I am watching. I.E, NTSC, PAL, SECAM and so on.

However, when using component video, this feature is removed. I pressume that as component is a superior signal, it can recognise NTSC etc and choose the incoming signal itself.

Can anyone confirm this please. Dont have a great deal of NTSC disks but hope that I am watching in true ntsc when I watch Band of Brothers Region 1.

Thanks,

CB.

2. Underscore

Underscore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There should still be a menu, though the options will be 480i, 480p, 576i, 576p and a load of others as NTSC, PAL and SECAM are colour systems so are not applicable to component. When I was using component, I found it took ages to find the right format, so I took to manually selecting the correct format - 480p for NTSC and 576p for PAL/SECAM.

HTH,

_

3. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Alright mate
    So have you got it all set up now?
    If so what do you think of the picture now you've had time to have good look at it?

I've just ordered mine from Nexnix today & will have it on thursday :clap: can't wait, now all i need to do is find some good component cables about 4m long but thats taking longer than i thought:(

I'll let you know what i think of it when it's set up & i'll try & post some pictures for others that are intrested in getting the z1:)

4. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    Its bloody fantastic. Watched Lord of the Rings over the weekend.
    Amazing quality.
    Far better than I had expected.
    Lush green colours within the Shire.

After worrying about silly things like screen door, fan noise lack of quality, I think back and wonder what I worried about as for the money, its presenting me with an image that I cannot believe, and as of yet, no banding.

Took a little while to realise that you actually have to switch the machine into 'quiet' mode , but its in the manual and I missed it on first read.

As for component leads, I got mine from

www.intoav.com

The supply component video to the BBC. Very good quality as far as I am concerned. 5 metres, £65.00. Fully screened with connectors.

Regards,

CB

5. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Hi mate i just looked on their site & could only see these
    RGB-RGB5m Component 3xRCA-RCA 5m £44.95
    Is that the one before i order?

Cheers

6. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    Give them a ring and explain what you are after, as I ordered the multi cable deal which includes component, s-video, and composite video.

I think the connectors are RCA but not 100% sure.

I am using the s-video for the x-box, and composite for the video.

Hope this helps,

CB

7. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Thanks for that mate:)

I'm glad you like the picture it gives are you useing a p/scan player?
    also just to give me a head start could you post your setting for the pj? then i'll have a starting point thanks.

8. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    cause I am using it straight out of the box. Apart from switching to the cinema lamp mode I have left it exactly as it arrived.

Also, just using an interlaced DVD, ands its good enough for me.

CB :smashin:

9. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    That is strange normally things have to be set up as they look crap straight out of the box, but maybe thats just me that thinks that:D
    I also only have an interlaced DVD player a tosh 220 so i'm glad to hear your getting a good picture from your pal player :)
    two more days to go:clap:

10. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    Youll get a cracking picture from your Tosh, but tell me, what have you done about the screen ?

11. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,950
    Hi Guys

I have also joined the club, ordered my blue/silver Z1 from Lucy on Friday they should be shipping Wednesday with dead pixel check,with me Thursday.

Hoping to see my team (wolves) in play offs on sky on Saturday in Glorious widescreen (around 106" diagonal).

Capt Benefit: see you have a grandview screen.I was thinking of getting a 7ft 8" manual pulldown from intoav.What do you think of your screen?.I shall be projecting onto a magnolia painted wall for a few days till I know definately what size screen to get.

Should have had Pj today but nexnix had run out of blue/silver,but they tell me fresh supplies arriving from their distributor(owl) in the morning.

I can't wait to get my sweaty mits on the pj, drooling now just thinking of it!

Liverpool: what colour have you ordered,are you having pixel check?.

Regards

Keith

12. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    I'm getting the grey & black, yeah i got the pixel check as well better to be safe than sorry & £20 isn't much to pay to make sure we have no dead pixels :)

13. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,950
    Liverpool

What screen are u gona get, have you demoed the Z1 or are you buying without seeing.

I had a demo a week ago and was absolutely blown away with the image quality.I supose other projectors may be as good/better but I liked what I saw and could not be bothered to troll round for demos of other pj's.

14. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    I've got a Draper Luma 6ft very nice looking screen:smashin:
    Yeah i had a demo at sevenoaks & the picture was very good all though they put it on a £7000 perforated screen & because it was perforated it put little black lines through the picture, but i looked past that & the picture was great so i can't wait to see it on my screen.

15. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    I have the electric version. Very nice indeed.

It has a gain of 1, with a 2 inch black border and 12 inches of black between the actual viewable screen and the casing.

It has a three way switch, up, down and a middle point at which I can stop the screen. Otherwise, it drops itself into place and locks.

Comes with a two pin plug so I popped to the DIY shop and bought an adaptor for ease of use, although I will change the plug eventually.

Finally, the manual pulldown is the same as the electronic, however, Carl at www.intoav.com advised that the controlled wind of the motor shoyld ensure that the screen remians crease free etc, and of course its £200 odd dearer ;)

Overall, great value for money.

Regards,

Captain Benefit.

16. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Yeah you just wanted to look even more flash with an electric screen didn't you? & tell the truth ;)
    So have you had your mates round to show off to yet?:D

17. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    To be honest, without sounding bombastic, I had about £2K to spend, and from that I wanted a PJ, a screen and a subwoofer along with the relevant leads.

So, I got the PJ from nexnix for £1233.00, the screen and leads for £530.00 and I got a REL Quake for £299.99, which is £50.00 quid cheaper than most online prices.

I went for the electric for convenience and 'sexiness' as you state but I am sure that the manual is equally as good, given that its essentially the same screen.

As for having the mates around, not yet no. Still hoping around after my operation so I really wanna get my AV room up together and blow them away....

Just awaiting delivery of a nice black leather sofa now and it will look lovely. I will post some piccys when complete.

talk soon,

CB.

18. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    They will be blown away for sure :eek: the room sounds like it's gonna rock, good luck with it i look forward to the pictures.

Hope the leg is better soon mate :)

19. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    My new Z1 has just been delivered
    :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
    But i have to wait till 5pm today before i can try it out:(

Kbfern have you got yours yet mate?

20. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,950
    Hi Liverpool

Yes!Yes!Yes! arrived at 12.30 today,unwrapped the box and am currently running cabling round the room.I bought a 3mtr component cable from Maplin yesterday + some new heavy duty (12 gauge) speaker cable for the 5.1 surround.

I will have the innagural run Friday.I shall be in on my own all day so can have a good long play then.

Hope yours is ok,have a good play when you get home!+ try out the projector as well.

21. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Nice one i'm glad you got yours:smashin:

I must admit i'm a little nervous about turning it on in case i don't like it:rolleyes: ;)
    But i'm sure it will be great, not long till i go home now:clap:

22. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought a Z1 sight unseen from Nexnix with a dead pixel check and received it on Friday. I'm projecting it onto a 6'6" wide electric owl screen.

I've made the screen remote control by wiring in an x-10 shutter switch which cost me about 50 quid delivered. I bought an x-10 rf starter kit for about 40quid so I can also switch the lamp off by remote - some people say "why don't you just reach over and switch it off?" but the remote switch came with the X10 starter kit so it has to be used... :)

I've also recently purchased a nice black leather couch - so much more comforable than the cinema. My eyes are about 12 foot back from the screen.

At the moment the pj's on the coffee table and so I'm having to use keystone correction which obviously affects pq and it's also too close so I'm only seeing a 5 and half foot image at the moment. Although that's plenty big enough really, I want to fit into the black edges to give it a cleaner edge, so I've ordered a ceiling bracket. This will be free as they've used my pj to make a template for the bracket. :)

My first impressions were dampened by too much ambient light until I got a blackout blind from Ikea, now the room is pretty dark although it has magnolia paint. I want to paint it darker but I'm getting the usual resistance from the other half. She certainly wants to get rid of the magnolia but doesn't want to go much darker.

I've calibrated it a bit with avia but really only changed the contrast and brightness by a notch or two as it was pretty good out of the box.

I suppose the usual complaints of LCD is that the blacks could do with being a bit darker. I'm hoping an FLD filter will help here as to be honest the blacks aren't great.

Screen door is also noticible occasionally at 2xscreen width, but is much reduced with a bit of defocus. I still notice it sometimes though but it doesn't really bother me, unlike rainbows...

One problem which worried me was some horizontal lines all the way down the picture. I switched on my telly to see if it had them too. It didn't and funnily enough when the telly was on the lines on the pj screen were gone. I switched it to standby and they were back. I then switched the telly completely off and they were gone again - phew! Thank god it was something so simple. I suppose I now need an x-10 socket switch for the telly.

I would say the picture from my Philips DVDR880 via 15m Lindy svideo cable is pretty good (and will improve without the keystoning) but the de-interlacer is obviously lacking, with loads of jaggies and moire as well as line twitter. The jaggies seems to be worst using Lexx dvds which are R1 NTSC. It also spoils the football a wee bit, especially the white lines.

So I'm waiting for a reasonably cheap deinterlacer or pal prog dvd player to come on the market. Anyone recommend one?

After 7 months of deliberating I finally have my home cinema and I love watching stuff on the big screen. However I do feel it still needs a wee bit of improvement.

Cheers,
    Cal.