Component video and audio over CAT5

fathervic

Novice Member
There are several products on the market offering video and audio over CAT5, though I haven't seen one that does component WITH audio - only without...
Does anyone know of a system that allows this and where - ideally something that's not too expensive (though I know that might be asking too much).
I'm not too concerned with hi-def but I'd like to try and get as best a signal out of the box rather than crappy composite.

Ta

bsuttie

Novice Member
fathervic said:
There are several products on the market offering video and audio over CAT5, though I haven't seen one that does component WITH audio - only without...
Probably because Cat 5 has four pairs in it so it's easy to do composite plus stereo audio, or component, but component plus stereo audio would need five pairs (without some sort of multiplexing etc.).

If you have already run the CAT5 do you have a spare cable? If not can you run one?

Brian

edent

Using balans you could "encode" the video and the audio to run over a standard network.

Easier to use component video and digital co-ax audio. That will only take up 4 pairs.

BrianC

Novice Member
The ones from Keene:

http://www.keene.co.uk/multi.php?mycode=C5B

Support component video AND either analogue audio or digital audio (must be via coax obviously), plus they can also send IR signals over the cat5.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Home AV, TV, Tech News & Reviews, Plus The Best of July 2020
Top Bottom