1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

component V svideo cable losses

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Mario Nicholas, Apr 6, 2002.

1. Mario Nicholas

Mario Nicholas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    What are the parameters of signal quality over various cable lengths when using component & SVideo connections.

ie: if the run to the CRT projector was 5 or 20M would either signal fare better. Would it affect progressive/line doubler abilities?

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    Great question.......

Well, the Y part is the same in each...Difference is colour signals bandwidth. So as there is less colour info to start with in an s-video signal I'd assume any loss's would be more significant in that.

The usual problem with s-video etc is a delay in the time it takes the colour component to go throuGH the video processing compared to the black and white image. Y/C delay. Now electrons bump in to each other pretty fast so I'm not sure if differing lenghts of Y and C cable will make a visible difference. More likely would be reflections in the cable. Nic or Richard Ansell are more likely to be able to answer that.

At my ISF course they guys teaching it pointed out that some ISF certified S-Video cable measured better at 50' or25' (can't remember which) than at 3'......This was due to cancellations of reflections they believed.

Does this affect the ability of the de-interlacer. Well, it may I suppose if the de-interlacer uses Chroma info for working out the relationship of each field for 2:3 or 2:2 pulldown. Certianly I have seen an obvious difference in de-interlacing performance when using composite or component to video processor.

I think Richard Ansell may be the man for a definative answer here...or perhaps I'll make up a lead and try it!

Gordon