1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component v HDMI

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by PlasmaVirgin, Dec 6, 2004.

1. PlasmaVirgin

PlasmaVirgin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Hope one of you gurus can help me with this one...

My Sony DAVS-880 surround sound / DVD system has component video output which I use to connect to my current TV. I am on the verge of buying either a Panny or Pio plasma in the coming weeks. Everyone is talking about running HDMI from the DVD player to get breathtaking results. My question is, what is the difference in picture quality between component and HDMI? Is it much better, or only marginal?

Basically, I don't want to have to upgrade my DVD player to take advantage of my new plasma unless I really have to, as I have already upped my budget from £2k to £3k for a plasma tv. However, if the quality is much better, I might just have to wait for prices to come down in a few months, and then upgrade the DVD player too.

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The pioneer will show a huge HDMI advantage. Cynical B***ds like me will argue this is due to poor component inputs rather than any huge advantage HDMI has. Of course the pioneer DVD players are fine machines too, and if you are upgrading from a supermarket bought Mico, again you would see a huge improvement. But the Sony is not too shabby on component vid, though I reckon it will show better on a Panasonic than a Pioneer plasma TV for above reason. I'm sure it will be fine whatever though, get a decent (no, not OTT) component lead, and you will be blown away by the general hugeness as well as the picture quality.

3. PlasmaVirgin

PlasmaVirgin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Thanks MAW. If I end up going for the Pioneer model, is there any way of improving the compnent quality (apart from quality of cable, as I think my cables are pretty decent), or is it just a case of put up with it or change to a HDMI DVD player? If so, bearing in mind my lack of funds, how much could I get a decent HDMI DVD player for?

Thanks.

4. PlasmaVirgin

PlasmaVirgin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
  5. Crazer

Crazer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Denon 1910 is supposed to be great through HDMI (according to what hifi: sound and vision) its about £180-£200 mind, don't know if thats in your budget? Do a search on google I'm sure you'll find lots of results. Enjoy your plasma, I'm saving to get one at the moment!! It would be greaqt to hear what you thought of the Pioneer.

6. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    One of the biggest differences of HDMI/DVI-HDCP over component is the ability of many of the DVD players with digital output to upscale. You can get component scaled, but only using an external scaler (£££) or an unlicensed DVD player.

-Ian

7. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,336
    I'm not sure how decent it is (too new for reviews I guess) but, Samsung are bringing out a player with HDMI for less than £200....

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Ian, you are labouring under a misconception. Scaling will happen somewhere. PAL video is 720x576, no plasma is that. neither are they 1280 x 720. If you feed a hi def (XGA) plasma with a pal signal it sclaes it to fit. If you scale it in a £200 DVD player, to 720p, it still scales it to fit. But now you are scaling twice, and one of the scalers is a part of a £200 machine, one is apart of a £3000 machine. Use your common sense at this point, leave the scaling to the one that is best at the job.

9. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Its not a misconception. If you scale at source:

1. You are scaling fully in the digital domain
    2. You will have less chance of scaling rubbish introduced in the transmission of an analogue signal

Thus, unless something is seriously wrong, with a like for like scaler, you will get better results scaling at source than in the display.

In my system, scaling at source to 720p, then in the display from 720p to 1366x768 gives noticably better results than supplying 576p and scaling from there in the display, even via HDMI/DVI. But then, I am blessed with a very decent DVD player/scaler, but I would imagine the same would be true of a Denon or many other 'decent HDMI DVD player' being discussed here.

Its exactly the same argument as where is it best to deinterlace a signal, in the player or in the display. You perform it where it is done best.

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Ian, we are talking about the same thing then, but I don't consider a £200 DVD 'decent' enough to use as a scaler for a £3k plasma, that's my point.

11. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    The Denon 1910 uses the Faroudja DCDi FLI2301 which I would call a pretty decent scaler irrespective of whether it costs £200 or not. It may not be the FLI2310 as used in alot of high end scalers, but there would be little or nothing to choose between the two chips for their scaling abilities.

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    We'll agree to differ on this one then.