1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component to Y U V scart?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Pixie_0, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Pixie_0

Pixie_0
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Quick question to pick your brains!

I have a YUV scart socket on my lcd tv, would i get a better picture if i were to connect say, the PS2 with a component lead to a "SCART to Y-U-V converter" ( http://www.maplin.co.uk/images/Full/35810i0.jpg)
    or would it just be a waste of money and i should just stick to my scart to scart rgb?

thanks guys n girls

2. MPK

MPK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    You won't see much of a difference as YUV and RGB are very similar. The only benefit you have is that with an AV amp you can do the video switching through the amp as amps usually don't accept RGB Scart. If that's a benefit to you then the only decent converter is a JS Technology, which is very expensive and certainly not worth it for a PS2. With the adapter you're looking at you'd probably be worse off than with RGB Scart.

3. Pixie_0

Pixie_0
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Excellent! Thanks for the answer, I have to say that a straightforward answer is a huge relief!
    :)

4. rdhir

rdhir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    hold on!

If you use component directly and the YUV behaves as component then there will be a difference with games having a Progressive Scan option in the game. This works best with US/Jap games as its often disabled in PAL games. Outside that there is no real difference.

and Pixie, the adapter you see is not intended for that use,...

The PS2 will output RGB or YUV.

I can't be certain as I've never sat down with a multimeter and a PS2/SCART, but I would bet my PS2 that the same wire are connected. So what you are proposing is to send an RGB signal (PS2 set to RGB) out a component lead into a converter which will convert the RGB into YUV which will then go to the TV and be converted back to RGB inside.

You can simply send either RGB or YUV down a PS2/SCART lead and one should work. If you don't believe me by all means go ahead and try but you will be wasting your money.

SCART is just a termination standard, that is a (complex) plug that has 21 pins and can carry many different video standards.

RGB and YUV are video standards and can be carried along phono, bnc and scart connectors.

Cheers

Rajiv