1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component to vga

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by 54xhg, Sep 5, 2005.

1. 54xhg

54xhg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,
    In the next few weeks i will be buying the Sony hx510 recorder,i'am going to connect it to my tv using a component cable.Which cable would provide the better picture,component to component or component to vga(my tv has a vga input).

Thanks
    54xhg :D :D

2. AndoverRed

AndoverRed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The JS Technology Component to VGA converter has been recommended in several posts. This is circa £150.

If your TV has a component input, then component-to-component is your best bet.

These cables are available on this forum.

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,527
    54xhg

Confusing question :)

If your 'TV' has an HD15 (VGA) input you need to ensure it has the option to switch the HD15 (VGA) socket to YUV (its default will be RGBHV) before you splash out on a 3RCA to HD15 (VGA) cable for your YUV 'Component' equipped player.

Connecting a YUV 'Component' source device to a 3RCA 'Component' Input or YUV compatible HD15 (VGA) Input on your TV is unlikely to make much of a difference to what you see on screen.

A 3RCA to HD15(VGA) cable is generally more costly than a 3RCA to 3RCA cable as the time it takes to make the HD15 end of the cable is longer than crimping or soldering on 3RCA connectors.

Best regards

Joe

4. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    The Component to RGB / VGA unit is primarily intended to allow for those screen that only have VGA socket (data projectors / plasma screen) that can't take progressive video a route where they can. But, we also allow for interlaced video to be convertered for the SCART output too.

But, the VGA socket does seem to give a sharper picture than going via the component inputs, so if you wish to get a bit more out of your screen this is certainly one way.

I have another manufaturer's YUV to RGB (SCART) converter and can do comparisions. The difference is staggering, our colours are correct and we have much much more detail. I'm really quite pleased with my design.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.