1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component to VGA

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by joolsburger, Dec 7, 2004.

1. joolsburger

joolsburger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Sorry to make my first post a question but I have searched and searched the site to no avail.

I have a Toshiba SD5?? DVD and a Sony KF-42SX300 LCD rear projection TV.

The TV has no component inputs and as I was used to the slightly better quality from my old component equipped Toshiba TV I had hoped to bodge something up component wise.

The Sony TV does have a VGA computer input (RGB according to the manual) and I wondered if I could run a cable taking the component signal to VGA using one of the readily available component to VGA cables?

Will this work or am I missing something major?? Also the DVD is Prog scan can my TV support this?

Any advice from the experts here would be gratefully received. I called Sony and they didn't know.

Thanks
    J

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    VGA carries progressive RGBHV, it's not directly compatible to RGB via Scart or Component (YUV). What you would need is an external converter.

I assume that DVD player and the new TV both support RGB via Scart (not progressive though), have you tried that?