Component to VGA for Sony DVD to Samsung LCD monitor

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Shenoizy, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Shenoizy

Shenoizy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I'm trying to connect an old Sony DVD Recorder (RDR-HX510) to my LCD computer monitor, a Samsung SyncMaster 2493HM.

Since the HX510 does not have an HDMI output my only option is to use the analogue component output and convert this to VGA D-Sub or HDMI. I think keeping it as an analogue signal is probably the easiest (and cheapest) thing to do so I just wanted to know whether it's just a case of getting a component to VGA adapter cable? I've tried one but it does not work (monitor keeps saying no input signal) though I know it works with a projector I have and I've tried using the DVD Recorder with my TV via component without difficulties.

Any ideas?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  2. Ben

Ben

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    It works with your PJ because it accepts component over its VGA input. Monitors generally only accept RGBHV over their VGA inputs, not component - so a simple lead/adapter won't do it, you'll need a converter. If you want to keep things in the analogue domain, then a component to VGA (RGBHV) converter is the way to go - J.S. Technology do a couple here & here. Cheaper are available onebay, though I can't vouch for their quality.

3. Shenoizy

Shenoizy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Thanks so much for the response. This didn't occur to me as a reason. Buying a converter looks expensive as I can get an upscaling DVD player (with HDMI) for less than £70.

Are there any other options open to me? The DVD Recorder has component, composite, S-Video and SCART outputs. The monitor has VGA, DVI (which I'm already using) and HDMI input. There must be a better way to connect them.

4. Ben

Ben

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263