1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

component to vga/dvi questions

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by sephy1024, Jun 26, 2005.

1. sephy1024

sephy1024

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just got a Dual 26" lcd from Asda. and want to be able to use a component to vga or dvi cable/adapter box. I figure this will let me use component cables on ps2/xbox/cube for edtv/hdtv modes. Is this the way to go? I'm a bit of a n00b to the whole thing, and as i understand it I need a component capable vga, which as faer as i can tell via windows, it is.

So will a (female)component to vga lead/adapter give me the results? And are they avaliable at low cost (i'm not demanding the very best picture possible via overpriced cables) Can anyone recommend suitable examples?

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    sephy1024

That's about ten questions in two sentences :)

Asking how to convert Standard and Higher Definition Analogue YUV signals to Analogue RGBHV (VGA) or Digital RGB (DVI) does not belong in the same sentence/paragraph as 'available at low cost' :) I fear the solution is possibly more costly than your new monitor.

If your saying that your monitor has the ability to Input a range of YUV signals [480i(60), 480P(60), 576i(50), 576P(50) and 720P(60)] signals via its HD15 (VGA) Input then a decent quality 3RCA (F) to HD15(VGA) cable will cost you around £60.00.

If you have to add in electronics to convert the Analogue YUV signals to Analogue RGBHV or Digital RGB then your looking at £200.00+ for the bits you require.

Best regards

Joe

3. sephy1024

sephy1024

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats more along the lines I was thinking rather then changing signal types (I assume thats what you meant)

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    sephy1024

Its quite rare to find a Low Cost PC Monitor with an HD15 (VGA) or DVI-I Input that accepts YUV at the range of resolutions indicated - if you have then a 3RCA (Male or Female) to HD15(VGA) cable will be your lowest cost option.

Our friends at VanDamme will manufacture the required cable for around £60.00 - we normally use/supply the Red Series Mini Four Core for lengths up to 10m.

Best regards

Joe

5. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you know for sure that the vga will take component input? Have you found a cheap cable yet?

Dave