1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component to VGA? Cheap..?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by phil2415, Aug 27, 2005.

1. phil2415

phil2415
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

I've had my old DVD player connected to my PJ (Infocus X1) using S-Video for about a year now as that was the best video output my DVD player had.

I've now bought a new DVD player/recorder which has progressive component video out and I am considering using this to replace the S-Video.

My questions are:

1) Will I notice the difference in picture quality?
    2) Is it possible to buy component cables which are RCA to VGA as my PJ's progressive component input is VGA?
    3) As you can tell from the model of projector I have I'm after decent home cinema but on something of a budget as I don't have a wife who will sanction spending the kind of money some of you guys do on hardware. Is it possible to get a 15m length of the component cable I need reasonably cheaply? I don't want cable so bad that it won't be worth upgrading to component but I also don't want to spend £200 on the cable! In fact my wife can't understand how a cable can cost more than £5.... :rolleyes:

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    There are never any guarentees with this, but IMO you should see a fair improvement in PQ
    Yes, have a look at the reasonably priced cables Here
    Well £35 for a 15m cable should be fairly easy to get passed SWMBO :D

Mark.

3. phil2415

phil2415
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info Mark, it's much appreciated. I've found a 15m component lead, which is the length I need, on Ebay for about £17, which seems excellent. The only problem is that it's phono on either end so I'd need a component phono to vga adapater. Do they exist? I can't seem to find one!

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    I can't say I've ever seen a phono to VGA adapter. Even if you can find one I would say you would bve better off not getting it as the more connections there are in the signal chain, the more chances of loss of signal/quality and also of picking up interference. Also a cheap component cable will almost certainly give cheap results. I previously used a cheap component cable and when I upgraded to something similar to those by Mark Grant the improvement in PQ was massive! With your above solution it is possible that the new lead may well look worse, rather than better, than the S-Video connection.

Mark.

5. phil2415

phil2415
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I contacted bluejeans.com who were excellent and quoted me an amazing price of around £75 for 15m of Belden 1694A component RCA - RCA cable AND a VGA - RCA breakout cable but the postage would have been a further $40 so I looked closer to home.

In the end, Mark Grant (markgrantcables.co.uk) sorted me out by making me the same two cables, albeit with inferior cable, for £50 plus p&p, which was more in my budget and probably more appropriate for my existing kit. I haven't got the cable yet but Mark has been excellent and I recommend his services to anyone.

So this particular quest, it seems, is over.