Component to scart ???

R

rmsdev

Hi

Can I use the component output from my DVD player to a SCART on my TV? (By using a 3 RCA to SCART cable from JL)

If yes, should I use the RGB enabled scart?

So what signal is that finally?

and what is the expected quality of the picture?

No you can't.

A fully wired SCART plug can carry either Composite, S-Video or RGB video signals but not Component.

RGB SCART to RGB SCART will look great with a good cable though, is there a reason you can't do this?

Unfortunately not

as I have 1 rgb scart and 2 normal scart and component

DVD player got s-video and component and composite

no scart/rgb

so what are these cables from JL are for then??? (3 phono to scart)

as I have 1 rgb scart and 2 normal scart and component

You have a component in on your telly? If you do then just use that.

DVD player got s-video and component and composite

One option would be to use an s-video to SCART cable if your telly supports S-Video on one of its SCART sockets. Look in the manual, you may also need to set S-Video in a menu somewhere if you do this.

Alternatively you may be able to find an S-Video to RGB converter somewhere. But I don't know of anywhere that does this, plenty do conversion in the other direction.

so what are these cables from JL are for then??? (3 phono to scart)

Are the three phonos coloured red, white and yellow? If so this is a Composite and stereo audio lead (often just called an A-V cable/connection).

Hope this helps,

Originally posted by Andy Trump
No you can't.

Probably not relevant in this instance but just thought I would correct you anyway ;).

Component Video can be carried via Scart but only if your equipment supports it. Component via Scart is a non-standard and rare connection method but it is used on Loewe TV's. I use a Component Video Cable 3 RCA to Scart purpose built.

Unless you have a Loewe TV though, you won't be able to do this.

Ya I knew Loewe use a proprietry cable based on the SCART design to transmit Component, but thought that assuming rmsdev didn't have a Loewe TV was a fairly safe bet. :)

Thanks guys

sorry TV does not have component, DVD has component but no Scart/RGB

TV has 2 RGB enabled scart

RGB 1 I am using for digibox

other i was hoping to connect component from DVD to second RGB scart of Telly

I have used the phono out (is that what you mean by component? :confused:) for video image and sound on my dvd player in the past and connected it to a scart. You get a pretty good picture if you use a decent enough cable.

Hope that helps and I haven't been too dim in assuming what you mean by component. :D

@CooperUK, "component" refers to YUV aka YPbPr (YCbCr). It uses normal phono/RCA connectors which are marked with red, green and blue color but it is not compatible to RGB (which usually is carried via Scart only).
Confusing, isn't it .... !?

(Technically speaking RGB is also a component format, but different from Component aka YUV. That's why I usually type 'Component' with a capital "C" ....)

@rmsdev, based on the above you cannot connect other than using S-Video or composite, requiring some adapter cable . S-Video would be the better option, given that your TV supports it on one of the Scart inputs.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom