1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component to SCART ???

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by MattyKHZ, Jan 26, 2005.

1. MattyKHZ

MattyKHZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    If you are using a TV that does not have a component connection, rather than use Scart from DVD player can you use (if available) a hybrid of Component out from the DVD to Scart in at the TV.

Just wondering as Component is supposed to be better quality of picture and would this be the next best thing or better than scart to scart?

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Scart is not a video standard, but just a connection type. A scart lead can carry the following video standards - composite, S-Video and RGBs (going from bad to best).
    A few TV's can also accept component via the scart socket. The only ones I know of are Lowe TV's. If your TV does not accept component via scart then there is no way you will get a picture by feeding component into the scart socket. The RGBs via scart is almost as good as component except that it is not progressive, but most CRT TV's are not progressive anyway so RGBs is about as good as it gets anyway.

Mark.

3. avuser2005

avuser2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Loewe Aconda TV and a new DVD player that has progressive scan and component outputs.

I am about to buy a QED AV29 6 Phono to Scart cable to connect the DVD component outputs (and the audio/composite) to the AV3 Scart socket on the Loewe Aconda TV. I have seen some details that say this should produce great results with this make of TV when the TV setting is changed to YUV sync Y. However, I have also come across some comments on the Net suggesting that I cannot do that for my PAL TV.

I am confused and would really appreciate if someone could give me some advice on this specific setup. Has anyone here done this already? If it worked, were the results worth the extra cost of the (quite expensive) cable?

I am currently viewing DVD's using an RGB Scart with RGB selected in both the DVD and TV menu settings. The picture quality is great at the moment, but I would pay the additional cost for a good component to scart cable if it produces better results with the progressive scan DVD player.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

4. richiecas

richiecas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Probably a stupid question but do you need a special cable to deliver RGB scart vs regular scart signal or will any cable carry RGB as long as bong TV and DVD... handle RGB

5. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199

I would say that 99% of scart leads should be able to carry an rgb signal, How good that picture is however depends on the quality of the cable. However there are some people that would suggest that the quality of a cable does not matter and you would get just as good a picture with a 99pence one from you local market trader.

6. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    You need a fully-wired Scart cable for RGB. Some (the cheap ones mostly) are unfortunately not.

7. Rojo Habe

Rojo Habe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I bought a three-phono to Scart cable that was labelled as component-Scart, and it works fine on my Vitros in both PAL and NTSC. Only interlaced though; the Vitros won't accept a progressive input. Assuming three of your phonos come in on the same pins I see no reason to suppose that your solution won't work. Unlike my solution, you'll also be able to pipe in the audio on the same socket.

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,465
    avuser2005

Its best to talk this through with Loewe or your Dealer - there are versions of the Loewe TV's that do work with YUV via SCART; though some only with a 480 line 60Hz signal (you call it NTSC).

The difference between Interlaced RGB and Progressive YUV on your TV is down to many factors - some in the DVD player (you don't say which model you have) and some in the TV; its impossible to say which will be better.

If you confirm your TV and DVD player are compatible then the QED cable will do the trick - and keep in mind a few of the AV Forum sponsors are QED suppliers. (do a user search on Filbert).

richiecas

All fully wired SCART to SCART cables will provide RGB connectivity.

There are also dedicated RGB 'ONLY' SCART to SCART cables that use heavier conductors to carry the RGB signal - these can and do provide for sharper looking images over most 'Fully Wired' SCART cables.

RGB 'Only' SCART cables have no audio conductors so you need to then work out how to get Audio from Source to your Display, TV, Projector or AV Receiver.

Supra have an 'RGB+LR' Audio version of the AV6 cable to provide RGB Video + Stereo audio over SCART.

Best regards

Joe