Component to SCART cables?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ClansOfIntrigue, Feb 3, 2005.

1. ClansOfIntrigue

ClansOfIntrigue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, apologies if this has been asked before - I couldn't find an answer by searching on "component to scart".

I've just bought a Philips 32PW6518C, which has 2 scart sockets on the back, one of which is apparently RGB-enabled. I've also got a Momitsu DVD player - v880 I believe, which is equipped with US plug & connections.

I'd like to connect the Red, Green & Blue RCA outputs of the dvd player (which seems to be what people call "component" here) to the SCART socket of my tv. I can't find a cable that takes 3xvideo + 2xaudio on one end, and has a SCART plug on the other.

Is this connection possible? If so, any tips on where I could find a suitable cable or adapter would be appreciated :)

I'm not terribly impressed with the Momitsu anyway - since I've not ended up with a HD set, the upconversion capabilities are wasted, and the player seems otherwise quite poorly constructed (plus the NTSC-PAL conversion is horrible, though my TV can handle NTSC output well so it's not such an issue)... so if I can't connect it to the TV via something better than composite, I might just donate it to my little brother and pick up a £30 multiregion player from amazon or the like.

I did try using a "universal connector kit" to connect S-Video and 2xphono to the SCART socket already, and got absolutely nothing on-screen from that :( I suspect it was a dodgy kit though.

Thanks for any assistance rendered :)

2. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi there,

Component (YUV) to Scart (RGB) is not possible unless you have a converter box that costs around £100. But, if your DVD player can send an RGB signal through the Component outputs (Take a look at the settings on the DVD player), you'd be able to get a 3 RCA to Scart converter for not very much.

Failing that, the Svideo should work and this will give you near the quality of RGB (If not better. RGB and Svideo are very close in Picture quality). You say you plugged it into the Scart input on the TV. Did you set that input to receive Svideo ? If that still doesn't work, try plugging in the Svideo into the side of the TV (I used to have a 28-6305 and that's where the Svideo connection was).

If you still can't get a picture and you really want a new DVD player, make sure you get a UK one since the Scart plug is for Europe only.

Richie.

3. mray

mray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    RJ is right. On the Momitsu you'll get as good a picture via s-video as you will via component. That's what I found anyway.

4. ClansOfIntrigue

ClansOfIntrigue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers - I didn't see a TV setting that indicated whether the SCART would look at S-Video or not - I'll have a look tonight to see if I can find it :)