1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component to RGB - will it work?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by chunkymunky, Aug 24, 2004.

1. chunkymunky

chunkymunky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a problem in that my DVD player (Philips DVP630) has both a scart and component outputs. Components being better I would like to use this connection to link with my Philips 32PF9986 LCD TV. Unfortunately, no component inputs on the TV only scart (RGB 1 is CVBS in/out,RGB, Audio L/R (Scart), RGB 2 is CVBS in/out, Y/C,RGB,Audio L/R (scart). There is also a DVI-i input that accepts RGB-HV but when using this input I get black bars on each side of the screen (size is 1366 x 768) vs a display resolution of 1280 x 720p.

Basically, I've seen a Profigold cable on TVsales.co.uk that will connect component to RGB scart. Will this work out of the box or will I need to buy some sort of video converter?

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    So you want to change component to RGBcompSync to go to scart input of TV?

In that scenario you are just moving the transcoding of component in to an off board box (the cable by itself is not likely to do what you want) instead of having it done in DVD player.

I suggest you just get a good RGB SCART lead and go to display with that.

Gordon

3. chunkymunky

chunkymunky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice Gordon although I'm disappointed that I can't use component connections. Do you know if prog Scan will still work on RGB and where I can get decent quality round scart cables (5.0M) from without breaking the bank?

4. liteswap

liteswap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Prog scan doesn't work on RBG, AFAIK.

5. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    chunkymunky, RGB and Component (aka YUV) provide the same quality but RGB from a DVD player does (usually) not support progressive scan (PS).
    If you want PS you need to use YUV or DVI, given your equipment at both ends has the same connection. If not I am afraid you need some active converter ($$$).

Given that your input is labelled DVI-i - does the TV actually support PS at all? If not I would just settle for a RGB connection as recommended by Gordon.