Component to HDMI converter, adapter or something else?

dupfold

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello

Recently got a LG C9. I have my Original Xbox and Wii connected via component to my Denon AVR-1906, and component from receiver to TV... but of course C9 doesn't have component inputs, so need a solution. Would this adapter suffice...

1.jpg

Or would a powered converter like this be the preferred choice (and if so why)...

2.jpg

I know there is a dedicated component to HDMI for Original Xbox, but I prefer something that is universal that can be used for other devices, plus by keeping my Xbox and Wii connected to my Devon, this frees up HDMI ports on TV.

Thank you

HDMI ports have no facility to accept analogue signals so a simple plug adaptor is a highly nonstandard items and won't work on the vast majority of devices - including your C9.

You need something that actually digitises and converts the signal. That's typically enough electronics to require a box, but sometimes it's squeezed into an oversized connector or bulky adaptor.

I suspected that adapter might not do the trick, so will go with the second option.

I have to question though, any idea what is the point of that adapter then if HDMI ports cannot use it?

Thank you

I have to question though, any idea what is the point of that adapter then if HDMI ports cannot use it?

There's always a bits of hardware around that output the signals through non-standard ports due to space restrictions.

Although you do suspect that an awfully large percentage of the sales of this sort of thing come from dodgy sellers on the likes of ebay or amazon who present these are general converters.

Just looking at few converters now. I see some that support 'HDCP 1.3' where as others support 'HDCP 1.2'. What does this mean and ultimately does it make a difference to the picture quality please?

There are UHD capable receivers now with component inputs and the ability to upconvert to HDMI for not nearly as much money as you would have paid for that Denon at the time of its release all those years ago.
They would be an infinitely better match for your C9 also ..... it really deserves it .

Thank you, but I'm quite happy with my Denon for now and only paid around £200 second hand, just need a component to hdmi converter.

I see some that support 'HDCP 1.3' where as others support 'HDCP 1.2'. What does this mean and ultimately does it make a difference to the picture quality please?

Just looking at few converters now. I see some that support 'HDCP 1.3' where as others support 'HDCP 1.2'. What does this mean and ultimately does it make a difference to the picture quality please?

Are you sure they're Component to HDMI and not HDMI to Component?. I wouldn't expect HDCP to matter with a Component source as Component doesn't support it.

Surely the Xbox has HDMI out so why use component ? The C9 has HDCP 2,2 ports but mine works fine with a legacy 1080 source passed through my denon receiver. Why not connect the X-box to a HDMI in on the receiver and the monitor out to the C9 ?

The older kit is likely to be HDMI hdcp 1,4.

It's the old first Xbox, doesn't have HDMI. I happy with my Denon, that doesn't have HDMI, only component. Yes the converters are 100% component to HDMI and not HDMI to component. I need component to HDMI 100%. I think that has covered all questions 🙃

I'm looking at component to HDMI converters now. Some say it support 'HDCP 1.3' where as others support only 'HDCP 1.2'. What does this mean, and ultimately does it make a difference to the picture quality please? This is all I need to know please. I've googled HDCP but still don't understand if this affects the picture or not?

Keen to buy asap, but want to be sure what this means, and if it affects picture quality? If it does I will get the HDCP 1.3 version but this is double the price so would really like to know if it makes a different. If anyone can answer this specific question please, Id be most grateful.

Last edited:
It's the old first Xbox, doesn't have HDMI. I happy with my Denon, that doesn't have HDMI, only component. Yes the converters are 100% component to HDMI and not HDMI to component. I need component to HDMI 100%. I think that has covered all questions 🙃

I'm looking at component to HDMI converters now. Some say it support 'HDCP 1.3' where as others support only 'HDCP 1.2'. What does this mean, and ultimately does it make a difference to the picture quality please? This is all I need to know please. I've googled HDCP but still don't understand if this affects the picture or not?

Keen to buy asap, but want to be sure what this means, and if it affects picture quality? If it does I will get the HDCP 1.3 but this is double the price so would really like to know if it makes a different. If anyone can answer this specific question please, Id be most grateful.

Wow that's really old. Pre HDMI a few sources and displays had HD outputs with component output with analogue audio with stereo only outputs, Very old sub Full-HD displays could only use component and the associated analogue stereo inputs

Component could do HD, but as it could be copied hdmi was introduced which meant that HD outputs from component were removed.

Of course it will affect both video and audio quality.

Your amp is so far outdated and you are trying to use a TV with more than 4 times the resolution of the output of your box, it will never work.

To use your new TV at lest to get a half decent picture and audio you need at least. one of these :

A source with at least a full-HD source with a HDMI-output,, FVP-HD-Box Terrestrial aeria) , Freesat+box, (dish), a HD games console etc. or a blu-ray player.

A DVD player will give higher quality than SD TV sources,

The TV has both satellite and aerial inputs that can provide Full-HD -inputs.

To watch 4K content you need a internet connection with a download speed fast enough to match the quality of the content.

Frankly how you can expect to watch a such an old games console with a high end TV is expecting a lot.

The kit to make this possible will likely cost as much as a replacement games console,

However it is possible to get a Wii console to work with a crap picture on a C9 TV.

1 With a high end AV receiver with a HDMi aux input (tested with a Denon AVR-X7200-WA (original price circa £2000,00) plus a HDCP-1.4 to 2.0 active converter.

Frankly the cost of the items means you should simply get a new games console.

Last edited:
Thanks, I'm aware of all of that, but I'd still like to use my old Xbox, so what I'd really like to know is....

I'm looking at component to HDMI converters now. Some say it support 'HDCP 1.3' where as others support only 'HDCP 1.2'. What does this mean, and ultimately does it make a difference to the picture quality please, in terms of HDCP 1.2 vs HDCP 1.3?

FYI: Original Xbox can output up to 1080i, and these converters start from £20, so not price of a new console. Plus it won't affect audio in the slightest as it won't be carrying audio as I'm using optical out from Xbox to amp.

Jeez I really didn't think this would turn into such a debate. Please don't get hung up about if you think it's wrong to use old Xbox or Wii on this TV (I also have latest console) or that it's rubbish, or that my amp is outdated (I'm still very happy with it thank you) or if I have fast enough connection to watch 4K (I have 50Mb line and watch 4K just fine thanks), I would just like an answer to the above. If anyone can actually answer this question please without worrying about anything else, it would be very much appreciated.

Last edited:
Looking it up it appears even the reputable shops are including HDCP among the bullet points for analogue to HDMI converters so it's not just the dodgy sales tactics employed by ebay/amazon sellers.

HDCP is copy protection that has to be supported by all devices in a chain, it doesn't work on analogue connections. A component source can't be providing HDCP protected content so I'm rather mystified as to why you'd have it on a converter.

It's not as if it's required to be used for everything transmitted over HDMI. As far as I'm aware even brand new consoles don't use it for gaming.

Perhaps there are compatibility issues with some displays if the device doesn't support it at all, even if it's not used. If that's the case then any version is likely to do.

Thank you, dodgy sales tactics was as I suspected. The fact that it's mentioned in the bullet points suggested it might make a difference, so just wanted to be sure it didn't affect picture quality. Will go for the 1.2 version as is half the price.

grahamlthompson has me contemplating a shiny new amp now though... you bugger! 😄

Cheers guys

Last edited:
grahamlthompson has me contemplating a shiny new amp now though... you bugger! 😄

If you were to choose a new AV amp with care, you should be able to connect older consoles and the like via component or possibly even s-video/RCA video/audio inputs and the receiver would scale everything up to 4K and output via HDMI to the TV.

My 7 year-old Yamaha amp certainly has a good mix of legacy analogue inputs and digital inputs and accepts a wide range of screen resolutions . The oldest console I have connected is a Wii though - I'm not sure whether you'd run into issues with anything older. I'm also not sure how many of the legacy inputs may have fallen by the wayside over the years, so you'd have to check the specs carefully. Scart has certainly disappeared, but component should still be present.

I appreciate upgrading the amp will cost more, but it'll be a much neater solution and avoid any trial and error with various adaptors, plus it'll really compliment your new high-end TV and allow you to get the best from it.

It's your call though :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom