1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component to DVI?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by uczmeg, Oct 16, 2003.

1. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Hi,

I'm running my projector off of a DVI enabled DVD player, this is the main source for the projector and I want to keep it as simple as I can with 1 long cable.

Anyway, I just got my new amp and this can take all my other video feeds and output them as component.

Is it possible to take that component output and turn it into a DVI output so I can feed the projector with the same cable as above?

I've had a bit of a search but most of the converter boxes out there seem to be for turning things into component, not the other way round.

Cheers
    Marc

2. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Don't think you can as component is analogue and DVI is digital. Looks like it's time to run some more cables :)

3. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Thanks Neil..

This is all your fault to start with! I only visited these forums with a simple question and now look where that got me...

;)

The component cables I just got rid of were massive! I don't want to run them again if I can help it. The room was just finished before this bug hit so I need one easy retractable cable!

So is it harder to go analogue to digital? I know I could take the digital and turn it into VGA (analogue?) quite easily.

Cheers
    Marc

4. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Flak jacket on :D

Hmm. I may have that wrong (looking round the Net) as of course a DVI-I connector supports both digital and analogue. A bit more investigation I think :)

5. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    What about an iscan ultra? Component in, DVI out. Just a thought but of course more money.

6. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    The world 'Ultra' there worries me..

Sounds expensive!

I'm guessing the amount of non DVD watching in the living room will be low, so until I can swing a plasma to go behind the screen I think cheap options are required for now.

Cheers
    Marc

7. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
  8. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Way out of my league!

I could sell the LPX back to you, but I'd only go and spend the money on a more expensive one and have to blame you even more to the wife! :eek:

Cheers
    Marc

9. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    If the input on the Projector is DVI-I doesnt that mean it can take analogue. Ive just come up against this. Ive managed to get VGA -DVI converters. so there most be a Componant -DVI equivelant.

The font of my newly acquired knowledge is http://www.lindy.com/uk/tips/uk/Digital_Monitor_Connections_Explained_/index.php

Just reading this it sayd that DVI has a length constraint of 7.5 Metres that you can get round by using non DVD cabling. EG Componant to VGA, Long VGA cable, then VGA-DVI conversion

10. crawf1982

crawf1982

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    How abou this XGA scaler

By the looks of it you can input composite, s-video, component and VGA and output via VGA and DVI. I'm thinking of getting one for use with my Z2 - not too long now hopefully!

Cheers,

Dave

11. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Crawf
    Im new to this scaler/prog scanstuff.

Im assuming the purpose of the XGA scaler is to take an interlaced image and digitise it as well as deinterlace it.

If this is the case:
    1) How do you know if the scaler is better than the deinterlaceer on the Z2?
    2) If this tool doesnt do the Z2 Wide angle resolution then some scaling occurs, wont this affect the image adversely
    3) If the DVI digital connections arent used then there will be a sequence of: analogue/interlaced-> scaler-> digital/deinterlaced/XGA->(Using vga out) analogue/deinterlaced/XGA->projector->digital/deinterlaced/projector res

Wont this double digitisiung of the image degrade the image substantially meaning that maybe in my setup where the long cable run is VGA that a scaler needs to sit with the projector so that DVI can be used. In which case it wont have simplified my cabling it will simply be deinterlacing which brings me back to questions 1 and 2.

Hope that makes sense

12. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Uczmeg, Sanyo list a component to DVI cable as an optional extra in Z2 PDF brochures.

They must exist!!

13. crawf1982

crawf1982

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Nunew33,

I don't know anything about scalers either. I had'nt even considered picture quality until it was brought up here. The scaler just looks like a good way of getting a lot of input sources (which I have) to the PJ via a DVI cable. Plus it is remote controlled and therefore I will be able to control all my equipment with my Pronto remote.

14. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
  15. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    nunew33, good spot!

Messiah, my hero! I think. Not sure they aren't the wronf way round. ie DVI to component...

I guess I'll ask them.

Cheers
    Marc

16. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Can't see how or why they will be directional. Good luck.

17. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If you follow that lindy link, it explains all about the DVI, like messiah I cant see it being directional as there is no conversion taking place. DVI-I has 4 pins for analogue signals so the analogue and digital use seperate connections. DVI-D simply misses out those analogue pins..

On that pacific cable link the splitter looks like a good deal as you can keep the DVI-D socket available for DVI-D sources and use the VGA for scart/componant!

Good one messiah!

18. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    When I explained my need to pacificcables they at first got the wrong end of the stick then offered up a response. (See below)

So there could well be some issues about direction.

> Hi Dave,
    >
    > Not sure we are quite on the same page.
    >
    > I have a video source outputting component.
    >
    > And a projector with a DVI-D input.
    >
    > Can I make the first output into the latter?
    >
    > Cheers
    > Marc

Hi Marc,

Yes this is possible, with a converter, not available until mid November.
    Dave

19. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thats right DVI-D is digital only so analogue will take converting. DVI-I on the other hand can take analogue unconverted along with a DVI digital input

20. jdudleyh

jdudleyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Denon amp that does component switching and a projector with a DVI input (no component). I was able to find a component to DVI cable a while back (over a year ago). I seemed to recall it was an accessory cable for a console gaming unit.

It seems to work fine.... the projector only recognizes it as a DVI analog (as it should) -- actually the DVI out from my computer is only recognized by my projector as DVI analog as well.

Now I just need to find a cable to join two DVI cables so I can hook the computer and the converted DVI out from my amp to the projector at the same time. I'm tired of manually switching the DVI cables at the projector. I've found a "switch box" that can do this for $280, but it seems like overkill when a Y cable should be able to do the same thing.

21. jdudleyh

jdudleyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually, Messiah's link to pacific cable leads you to this cable which looks like the right one:
    http://www.pacificcable.com/Picture_Page.asp?DataName=DVIRCA-2

When I ordered my component to DVI cable, I believe it was listed as "DVI to component" so I was worried if it was directional. I gambled at the risk of having to use the return policy and it was successful.

The cable introduced a green line down the left side of the screen. At first I thought it was a cable flaw, then I remembered that the projector could shift the viewable area of the video signal. I slid the whole image over a pixel or two and all is good. The cable introduced a slight video frequency shift.

Pacific Cables also seem to have a splitter cable that might do what I need:
    http://www.pacificcable.com/Picture_Page.asp?DataName=DVIY-2

The question again is "Is the splitter designed to go only one direction?" It'll do me no good if it can only do 1 input to 2 outputs. I need 2 (or more) inputs to 1 output.

22. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Can't see that it would be directional. More an issue I think is whether the connectors are the right way round to match your existing cables.

23. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Have to revise this blatent display of ignorance. DVI-I cannot use the interface for analogue along with digital, its "either or" (XOR for geeks). But DVI does mean it can take analogue.

Jdudley the splitter is ok as long as it isnt DVI-D which it looks as though it isnt as it has the 4 pins to the side.

Heck what do I know, im stilll learning....dont listen to me