1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component to BNC

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Manny Brown, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Manny Brown

Manny Brown
    AVF Games Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Hi everyone, apologies if this is in the wrong forum...

I have the option of getting hold of a Sony GDM-W900 monitor at a ludicrously cheap price, and i was looking for some advice.

The monitor does 1900x1200 resolution at max, and has a vga and set of BNC inputs on the back. My question is, would it be possible to convert a component lead into a set of BNC inputs?

Any advice appreciated, thanks :)

2. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    RGBHV is different to component, but close. It would most like need to be converted. This is not difficult but 'might' not look especially good value next to your monitor, if done well. The HD15 and BNC are likely to be looking for RGBHV or some similar variant. It has been a while since I looked at one of these monitors.

Component (p) to RGBHV can be done by a small box, several of these available but are not pennies

Component (i) to RGBHV can be done by another small box, these are typically video processors, from £100 to £60k

It all really depends on the freq of the inputs of the CRT monitor, whhich from memory were pretty impressive range.

3. Eiji

Eiji

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
  4. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    I think the only real way of using this monitor to its full potential is to use either a PC or a Scaler with RGBHV or VGA outputs (the difference between the VGA and BNC connectors is, AIUI, purely physical - they take the same input signals electronically)

I am not aware that it accepts interlaced video, nor whether it will accept composite/mixed syncs or syncs on green instead of H and V syncs separately.

A component to VGA converter may allow 720p to display correctly, but it may display 1080i as 540p.