1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component swithing. A query..

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Bristol Pete, Jun 13, 2003.

1. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Hi,

thinking of going for a new amp with component switching to maximise my picture from xbox, DVD and PS2 via projector.

However, if I were to upgrade to Prog scan capable DVD would the amp still allow the prog scan signal to pass through..

Sounds silly but I need to conisder it.

Thanks,

Cap:smashin:

2. RossC

RossC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I wondered the very same thing as I'm about to buy a new amp too, and the convenience of component switching is very tempting.

...so I borrowed a Harman Kardon AVR5550 from local dealer and tried it.

Answer - yes. Checked the input signal to the plasma via the service menu and it shows 625p with the player connected via the amp. Then tried the non-prog outputs on the DV27 and the signal showed 625i just to check. Didn't see any picture degredation either (although I'm sure others will say the amp will degrade the pciture).

Other dealers have told me it's only expensive processors and amps that can pass prog scan, so I guess checking whatever you're planning to buy is the only safe route.

RC

BTW, pleasantly surprised by the AR5550 - apart from the design, the sound is very impressive even in 2 channel stereo.

3. davidhunter

davidhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    RossC,
    My sentiments exactly about the HK I was really impressed with it in Stereo, to me it sounded better than the Pioneer but I ordered the Pioneer as I couldnt stand looking at the mobile discotheque the HK is.

Davy

4. RossC

RossC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ....so if I do get one it's going in a cabinet! Was comparing it to my Audiolab 8000 in 2channel - very surprised at how close it acme. The Audiolab was better (top and bottom end) but not by the margin I expected.

The one actual feature that may make the Pioneer the choice product however is the delay function that would help with any lip sync issues with the plasma and freeview.