1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component Switching

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by ShaggyDragon, Nov 27, 2002.

1. ShaggyDragon

ShaggyDragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right, getting closer to a decent no-interference picture from Sky+ and DVD, but that requires the use of the component input on my Toshiba 42WP27. My amp, which I have no need to upgrade doesn't have a component switching capability. I've looked in the other forums and found only one component switch box, the JVC and that's only available in the US for about £400.

So, I've been looking into non amplified remote switches from Maplin. There is one in particular that looks promising:

Maplin Switch Box

This has 6 inputs and 1 output. The inputs include composite and left and right audio. Is it possible to use the audio channels and the composite channel for component switching? The unit is not amplifed, so does it act as a simple switch? The unit's remote control can be learnt by my Pronto so, switching sources should be seamless.

Failing this, is there another possiblilty instead of spending £1799 on a new amp, after all, the audio section of my current amp doesn't need upgrading so it's a bit of a waste of money.

Andy.

2. ShaggyDragon

ShaggyDragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just following up my own thread. Bought the switch box and unfortunately it doesn't work as a component video switcher. The signal still comes through, although the colours are now incorrect. It appears that this box attenuates the signal through the audio inputs.

Back to square 1. Start saving for a Yamaha AZ1 :(

JS - have you thought of developing a remote control component switch box? I think you'd corner the market...

3. KBDVD

KBDVD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
  4. ShaggyDragon

ShaggyDragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ouch - dare I ask how much?

I think that's a little too high end for consumer level video ;)

Thanks anyway.

5. daveW

daveW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. KBDVD

KBDVD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi ShaggyDragon,

List price was £699 + VAT.

Best price I was quoted was £658 INC VAT.

(At least it should do the job to a very high standard)

Best Regards,
    KBDVD.

7. Carduus

Carduus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, the posts on this and similar threads seem to have dried up over the last year, but rather than start a new thread .......

A search couldn't find any posts on it, but I've just ordered an Inday HDDA-1 YUV dist amp (splitter) direct from Inday. It will go downstream of my Yamaha amp to split YUV to plasma and pj. If anyone out there has one, I have two questions:

1. Does it work? (I guess now is a stupid time to be asking that question seen as I've already ordered it! :clown: )

2. I've asked Inday not to ship the bundled 110VAC/12VDC adaptor. They've agreed and knocked the price down (with free shipping) without me even asking. :clap: Question is ... can anyone tell me the required current output (500mA?, 1A?) and jack size to feed the HDDA-1 so that I can give Mr Maplin some money without delay. I have emailed Inday on this but no response as yet and my visa card is growing impatient ....

Cheers :smashin:

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    Carduus

As you say possibly too late but just so you know you have an alternative product that has a (Scottish) UK distributor, is fully CE approved and supplied with a factory sourced 240v power supply.

We import the Zektor range of Video and Digital Audio switchers - the 4 Input 1 output HDS4 is sub £250 UK and works very well.

See http://www.zektor.com

One great feature of the Zektor switchers being they act like a learning remote so you teach it the IR commands from your AV or HiFi Amp and it switches video in tandem with the amp.

Best regards

Joe

9. Carduus

Carduus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Joe

Thanks. I did see on your website that you were carrying the Zektor and I understand that it can be used in "reverse", so to speak, as a splitter (which is the mode I need). I guess that (i) I couldn't see the need for switching capabilities - the display not in use will be turned off and so (ii) the extra cost didn't seem justified. Hope I'm right. :rolleyes: Have you come across the HDDA-1? Is it an OK piece of kit?

10. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +626
    I am using a zektor hds4.2, this has 4 inputs each with analogue, coax and optical (also converts optical and coax so you can have one coax to amp) and it has a second buffered component out to run long lengths to a second display.

As joe says it will learn any remote code, so when I choose dvd on my processor it switches the video signal too.

It is a passive design so can handle any resolution including 1080p with no loss at all.
    I don't know the price in the UK as I ended up buying mine whilst in New York, but it is an awesome bit of kit.

I actually used mine so I could have one output into my scaler to de-interlace/scale the signal and the second output going into the scalers loopthrough, so when I wanted to send progressive scan or hi-def I could still do it completely seamlessly.
    For example when some games were not progressive I didnt have to swap cables about.

11. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    Carduus

I must say I've never used an HDS4 'in reverse' - often we find the 'second' output is to a projector or TV in another room and has to drive long cables - the HDS4.2 is a better option in that type of installation as Output 2 is buffered to drive longer video cables.

The Inday products look like excellent value for money - though as they are not (as far as I'm aware) CE approved its not something we can supply in the UK or Europe. Personal import is fine its just not viable for anyone to retail them without CE approval.

Best regards

Joe

12. Carduus

Carduus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys

For the benefit of others, it might be worth clarifying that there are two different Zektor units referenced above - the HDS4 (from Joe’s Post #8) and the HDS4.2 (from Gizlaroc’s Post #10). The HDS4 is 4 input / 1 output while the HDS4.2 is 4 input / 2 output.

HDS4 info via Copperbox: “It's flexible inputs and passive switch contacts allow for switching of 5 wire video formats such as VGA (RGBHV), as well as reverse operation (1 source to 4 outputs). .… The passive design also allows signals to be routed backwards through the switch, allowing up to four display devices to be switched to one source.

HDS4.2 info via Copperbox: “HDS4.2 features 4 Inputs, 2 Outputs. Up to four sources of HD component video, and two outputs. One output is a passive passthrough, the second output is buffered with high speed amplifiers capable of the full HD bandwidth. .… The passive design also allows signals to be routed backwards through the switch, allowing up to four display devices to be switched to one source.

So to clarify, unless I’m very wrong, the HDS4 need to be used “in reverse” to feed more than one display. The HDS4.2, however, can be used as described with the second output. (Oh, and if you don’t need switching – just splitting - there may be more cost-effective solutions ;)) I’ll let you all know how I get on with the HDDA-1 when it arrives ….

13. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Simply splitting can be achieved with a Kramer VGA distribution amp. It has nowhere near the capabilities of the Zektor but can easily split YUV signals and send them over long cables. Might be that a combination of the basic Zektor and a 1:2 kramer splitter is cheapest way to go.