1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component Switching??

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Messiah, Jul 7, 2002.

1. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    I am looking to upgrade my amp in order to have component switching. Can anyone tell me if an amp such as the Sony STR-DA555ES actually enhances the incoming component signals in any way before outputting them or does it simply pass them through.

I am interested as this is the only reason I am needing a new amp. If it just passes through I will make a component switch box which will be about 100th the price.

Thanks.

Neil

2. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am assuming you have ruled out using the tv as the "hub" for the sound to avoid component switching?

3. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    I mean component as in the video signal. I was gonna buy a Denon 3802 but thought £700 just to achieve the component switching a bit steep. So, I went to maplin, bought a B-Tech composite audio switch box and am using the 3 gold plated RCA jacks on each input/output to achieve the same result.

Opended up the box, and modded it so I don't have to use the manual switch. Seems to do a perfect job but was just wondering if an AV Amp actually does something to the component video signal before outputting it (i.e. does it improve/boost it with any trickery at all?) or does it just pass the signals directly to the chosen output?

Thanks.

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Earlier models just used relais to switch the component signal, thus no boost and no noticeable degradation.
    Some newer but few models IMHO add the OSD into the component signal, but I am not sure if they boost it, too. (Unlikely me thinks)